Question GPU fan cracking, same fan won't always spin leaving one to take the load.

TreeEskimo

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2013
Hello!

So a couple of days ago I noticed my GPU fans would be "cracking" under load. I unplugged my PC and tried manually spinning the fans and noticed that one fan that would make the cracking sound also wouldn't spin as long as the other fan when I tried manually spinning both fans with my finger. I tried tapping on it a bit and pushing the fan in gently and it seemed to work for a couple of hours, but the fan will also sometimes stop spinning entirely and make my other GPU fan take the full load which results in insane RPM's (and noise) by the working fan.

The GPU itself is around 4 years old and it's an GTX 1060 6gb - I assume that the fan is either defect or a screw might be loose or something, is there anything I can do that doesn't involve me having to break the entire GPU apart to fix the fan or something?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 11, 2020
Hello, TreeEskimo!

This looks like a faulty GPU fan to me. If the GPU is still under warranty, get the manufacturer to replace the fan or replace the GPU entirely. If it's not, you can try to replace the fan yourself.