THpapi

Reputable
Mar 27, 2019
Hey Community!
So In both my systems (GTX 970/ GTX 1080) I have the GPU fan curve set so it hits 100% before 60c, I notice it seems to perform pretty well that way, I mean, why would I want it getting hotter than that? I was just watching a tech-tuber (Paul's Hardware) talking about OC'ing a RTX 2070 and he said he set his fan up to 60% while testing for an OC stability. I kind of thought this was bizarre, what do you guys think? I don't care about a little fan noise, it's the butter smooth frame rates I am after. I have heard other people say that pushing that much power to the fan(s) may impact power deliver to GPU, is this true? Does anyone know a better fan curve for those cards? The 970 is just a blower and the 1080 is a blower/hybrid.

WildCard999

Titan
Hey Community!
So In both my systems (GTX 970/ GTX 1080) I have the GPU fan curve set so it hits 100% before 60c, I notice it seems to perform pretty well that way, I mean, why would I want it getting hotter than that? I was just watching a tech-tuber (Paul's Hardware) talking about OC'ing a RTX 2070 and he said he set his fan up to 60% while testing for an OC stability. I kind of thought this was bizarre, what do you guys think? I don't care about a little fan noise, it's the butter smooth frame rates I am after. I have heard other people say that pushing that much power to the fan(s) may impact power deliver to GPU, is this true? Does anyone know a better fan curve for those cards? The 970 is just a blower and the 1080 is a blower/hybrid.

Never heard of that. I know a few people who run there fans at a constant 100% above 50C without issues or performance drops.

Generically, I set my fan curves...
100% @80C (most newer cards will start throttling around 83-85C)
80% @75C
60% @60C
(my RX 580 fans turn off below 60C)

Your 1080 Hybrid temps shouldn't exceed 60C even with a higher ambient temp/overclock. I had the 1080 ti version for awhile, left fan curve as default and pushed the power limit as high as it could go (I think it was 108%) and it never exceeded 65C. Depending on the case orientation the 970 you may want a more aggressive fan curve to exhaust the heat from the card.

Reactions: THpapi