Question GPU fan doesn’t run automatically but can be controlled with SpeedFan

Jan 13, 2020
After repeatedly overheating and crashing while gaming I discovered that no matter what temperature my GPU reaches the fan never kicks on, I have remedied this by creating a custom control in SpeedFan and the fan operates correctly when doing this but what could the issue be in the first place? AMD graphics card in a pre built pc, only thing I’ve done is replaced the power supply because I thought maybe the gpu wasn’t pulling enough power but nothing changed.

Edit: I can get exact specs when I get off work, just had the problem in mind now

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020
I did not, I had to install it after inspecting my tower.
The gpu fan spins on startup but only for five seconds or so and then it is dormant even at 70 degrees

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Some cards have eco settings where the fans don't come on until the gpu reaches a certain temp. My gtx970 is that way, it's @ 65°C, which is right at gaming temps so is quite annoying, the kick on high rpm then off constantly.

With that, there's either a software or hardware switch, to disable that eco mode and run the fans in a regular curve. Since your fans are not coming on as intended, I'm wondering if there's an issue with either the thermistor circuit or vbios not enabling the fans. Since they obviously work when that's disabled, I'd look for that eco switch and disable it.

Reactions: Codetuck and dorsai