Question GPU fan hitting 4400 rpm whenever GPU exceeds 90% usage ?

theonlyastralsleep

Commendable
Apr 23, 2020
So sometimes when I'm playing a game like gears 5, tarkov or path of exile and my gpu usage goes 90% or above, my gpu fans go to 4400 rpm and its loud. It just does it over and over until gpu usage goes down. Here is the thing tho every time it does this my gpu temp is only at 67-76c. I tried using msi afterburner to set fan controls but it overrides it.

View: https://imgur.com/a/I6Sn35e

Psu: CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) 650w
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200
evga 2060 super sc
CPU: 5600X (stock cooler)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI
SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5
Monitor: ViewSonic XG2402 24 1080p

Last edited by a moderator:

KyaraM

Admirable
My only worries are if it's not 100% pushing air when I am at 65C, get used to it, turn the speakers louder, 70C is Unacceptable to Me.
But if you're one of those silver spoon kids, go ahead and burn it.
GPUs only throttle at 82°C and can easily withstand those temperatures and even higher, they are made for them. My GPUs all ran at around 70°C, which is considered a really good operating temperature. I'm sorry, but you have been given fairly bad advice all day.

So sometimes when I'm playing a game like gears 5, tarkov or path of exile and my gpu usage goes 90% or above, my gpu fans go to 4400 rpm and its loud af. It just does it over and over until gpu usage goes down. Here is the thing tho every time it does this my gpu temp is only at 67-76c. I tried using msi afterburner to set fan controls but it overrides it.

View: https://imgur.com/a/I6Sn35e

Psu: CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) 650w
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200
evga 2060 super sc
CPU: 5600X (stock cooler)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI
SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5
Monitor: ViewSonic XG2402 24 1080p
I would get HWINFO64 and see what that tells you about GPU temperatures. Likely won't show the VRAM but the gotspot and especially the difference between GPU and hotspot temperatures might give a clue as to what is wrong. Also other PC parameters.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
You do you, I will not cook my GPU, not rich enough. I Run a 15,000rpm case fan (extra) that sounds like a jet taking off and I am ok with it.
You've been given false information by those who profit from selling you new hardware every year. If I was that, I'd tell you the same or worse 100C - absolutely normal.

KyaraM

Admirable
You do you, I will not cook my GPU, not rich enough. I Run a 15,000rpm case fan (extra) that sounds like a jet taking off and I am ok with it.
You've been given false information by those who profit from selling you new hardware every year. If I was that, I'd tell you the same or worse 100C - absolutely normal.
You aren't cooking your GPU at 70°C. That's bulls. My 1070 is runnung at those temps for 6 years now and not slowing down. Inform yourself before posting, please.

Edit:
Also I really want to see that 15k RPM case fan of yours, because the highest I have ever seen is 1500RPM. I got some of those. Sweet spot is around 1100-1200RPM, more isn't always better. Been building systems for over 10 years now, btw.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Also I really want to see that 15k RPM case fan of yours, because the highest I have ever seen is 1500RPM.

Personally, I don't want any 40mm fans as a case fan. But they do exist. Jet engine sounds about right. Easier to use a larger fan that doesn't scream at you all day.

In a few GPU, the fans won't even turn on until you hit 70c so its not exactly hot for them.

Last edited:

KyaraM

Admirable

Personally, I don't want any 40mm fans as a case fan. But they do exist. Jet engine sounds about right. Easier to use a larger fan that doesn't scream at you all day.

In a few GPU, the fans won't even turn on until you hit 70c so its not exactly hot for them.
Who the heck uses this for computer hardware? There seriously are worse issues than wether your GPU reaches 60, 70, or 80°C if you use that thing to get air into the case... that doesn't even qualify as a case fan in my book.

And yeah, the last part is my point. Hence why my GPU happily runs over 200MHz beyond specs even without active overclocking, lol.

My only worries are if it's not 100% pushing air when I am at 65C, get used to it, turn the speakers louder, 70C is Unacceptable to Me.
But if you're one of those silver spoon kids, go ahead and burn it.

Aside from the condescending attitude towards the OP, suggesting that they might be "one of those silver spoon kids" and to "go ahead and burn it", you are posting complete crap and in no way helping the OP feeding them duff info. I wouldn't bother posting anything if you can't post factual information. 70C is nothing like unacceptable for a GPU. Maybe in your mind it is, but we've clearly seen how your mind appears to work and therefore know how much credence to place upon anything it comes up with.

To the OP, I'd start with a clean slate of anything related to GPU, so fully uninstall drivers, Afterburner and anything else related to your GPU, then install just drivers and Afterburner, set your fan profile and then see where you're at.

I'm presuming you've set the fan up in this screen in AB?

lES14bY.png

Reactions: KyaraM

TRENDING THREADS