GPU fan issue

Hi Community

My brother asked me recently to help him pick out a GPU he could afford (I also helped him find a 550w EVGA PSU to replace his dying non-branded PSU). He wanted to be able to play decently modern single players games at 60fps 1080p such as Thief and Skyrim.

We ended up getting this graphics card off Ebay for a decent price from a very highly reviewed seller:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/6mgPxr/gigabyte-vid...

I wiped his AMD old display drivers and installed the new video card for him and then installed the drivers. But throughout loading up the computer and the install of drivers i noticed the GPU's dual fans kept speeding up suddenly between 10-80ish% fan speed and was very audible.

After installing the drivers i loaded up MSI Afterburner so to pull up the GPU temp and its fans speed. The card was at a constant idle 23C but the fans showed as speeding up and down for no apparent reason. We decided to make a custom profile through MSI afterburner and we found that the fans stop fluctuation if the minimal speed was set to 50% (due to the fans being of good quality they were still silent) We then set the rest of the fan chart.

We loaded up Thief with Nvidia Experiences recommended settings (we changed the res from DSR to 1080p) and the GPU ran 43C/60fps/60-70ish% usage. With are custom profile the fans were still not audible while running Thief, the fans were probably around 50-60%.

So does anyone know why we had to make a customer profile to fix this weird fan issue and what was causing it? We have had to set Afterburner to load on Windows so it can take control of the fans as soon as possible. When the computer is booting to Windows the fans fluctuate till MSI afterburner takes control.

Whats is the communities opinion on this?

(My last post was closed and i was not contacted in any manner to tell me why so i am posting again)

Solution

Firmware refers to the BOIS software. You are going to have to flash the card to a newer BIOS version. Though they are rarely issued, check Gigabyte's site to find it. Firmware usually improves fan stability, so it means that yur current one has a fan issue, and the newer version should fix it

Ryan_78

Honorable

Firmware refers to the BOIS software. You are going to have to flash the card to a newer BIOS version. Though they are rarely issued, check Gigabyte's site to find it. Firmware usually improves fan stability, so it means that yur current one has a fan issue, and the newer version should fix it

Solution

TRENDING THREADS