[SOLVED] GPU Fan Issues - Warranty Unclear

Whiteley

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
Hey folks, I recently began hearing a squeaking/squealing noise in my PC and was naturally concerned. I was able to narrow down the issue to the right fan of my Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GPU. I have a couple of inquiries for any informed individuals to hopefully help me with!

1. Is there any way for me to easily access and fix the fan? It is slightly wobbly as compared to the left fan which is working fine (No friction, firm connection). Upon removing the side panel of my PC and GPU itself, I was able to easily identify that the right fan was slightly loose and wobbling, but wasn't able to easily find a sticker or panel on the fan to tighten the connection or lubricate the connection.

2. Am I able to turn off the right fan using software like GPU Tweak III, and would this even be a smart solution? (If the right fan not being on would cause the buildup of too much heat then naturally I wouldn't want to use it as a long term solution)

3. I ordered the GPU in April 2019, via PCPartpicker. It was purchased through Outlet PC, and I can't seem to find any website information or seller info on this shop anymore (Maybe the business folded?) and am thus unsure how to contact them over warranty information.
- 3a. As this is now slightly a month out from the 3-year mark, I am not sure that the warranty would even cover my part anymore OR that this issue would be covered by a warranty in the first place

4. Is it time to purchase a new GPU?

Solution
1| If you can access the fans without removing the cooling assembly, you won't be in risk of loosing your warranty on the card(the sticker that prevents you from tampering with the screws harnessing the cooling fin stack to the GPU's chip).

2| I doubt it.

3| If it's beyond the warranty period, it's beyond the warranty period.

If you're unable to reach the seller using the info fond on your receipt, then you should look into sourcing fans that are on your GPU, you can find said fans on Aliexpress or Ebay.

Lutfij

Titan
1| If you can access the fans without removing the cooling assembly, you won't be in risk of loosing your warranty on the card(the sticker that prevents you from tampering with the screws harnessing the cooling fin stack to the GPU's chip).

2| I doubt it.

3| If it's beyond the warranty period, it's beyond the warranty period.

If you're unable to reach the seller using the info fond on your receipt, then you should look into sourcing fans that are on your GPU, you can find said fans on Aliexpress or Ebay.

Solution
panel on the fan to tighten the connection or lubricate the connection.
You don't do it this way. If fan fails you just replace it with same model.
Am I able to turn off the right fan using software like GPU Tweak III, and would this even be a smart solution?
Probably no, and it would not be a smart.
and am thus unsure how to contact them over warranty information.
Try contacting card manufacturer instead.
this issue would be covered by a warranty in the first place
It would. Fan failure is definitely covered by warranty unless there is mechanical damage to the fan caused by outside source.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Hey folks, I recently began hearing a squeaking/squealing noise in my PC and was naturally concerned. I was able to narrow down the issue to the right fan of my Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GPU. I have a couple of inquiries for any informed individuals to hopefully help me with!

1. Is there any way for me to easily access and fix the fan? It is slightly wobbly as compared to the left fan which is working fine (No friction, firm connection). Upon removing the side panel of my PC and GPU itself, I was able to easily identify that the right fan was slightly loose and wobbling, but wasn't able to easily find a sticker or panel on the fan to tighten the connection or lubricate the connection.

2. Am I able to turn off the right fan using software like GPU Tweak III, and would this even be a smart solution? (If the right fan not being on would cause the buildup of too much heat then naturally I wouldn't want to use it as a long term solution)

3. I ordered the GPU in April 2019, via PCPartpicker. It was purchased through Outlet PC, and I can't seem to find any website information or seller info on this shop anymore (Maybe the business folded?) and am thus unsure how to contact them over warranty information.
- 3a. As this is now slightly a month out from the 3-year mark, I am not sure that the warranty would even cover my part anymore OR that this issue would be covered by a warranty in the first place

4. Is it time to purchase a new GPU?

Warranty is determined by make and model of the card and will be available on the mfg's website. The invoice that you received via email will be all the proof you need of proof of purchase for warranty work. Some warranties are 3 years, some are 5. You'll just have to visit that companies website FOR YOUR COUNTRY to figure it out. Or you can write their tech support.

Whiteley

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
Thanks all, took apart the GPU to see if there was any issue with the fan potentially clipping the heatsink or wiring, but appears that the fan assembly itself was what was wobbly (Possibly an issue with the ball bearings/whatever helps it spin on the inside). Have ordered a replacement fan to fix it!