Question GPU fan making ringing and grinding noise

EbenMK

Prominent
Feb 29, 2020
Noise

Earlier it was only making the grinding noise and it then progressed to scraping up against the heatsink and making a ringing noise. I'm not sure what to do to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If the fan is physically striking the heat sink it's an indication that it's either not mounted properly (if that is even possible) or that the fan hub/fan itself are worn to a degree of failure.
If you have taken the shroud off the GPU I would check to make sure you seated it correctly.
If you haven't messed with it get a replacement (fan) ASAP.

Noise

Earlier it was only making the grinding noise and it then progressed to scraping up against the heatsink and making a ringing noise. I'm not sure what to do to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!Noise
That GPU looks pretty old, I'd guess the fan bearings are worn so badly it wobbles enough to let the blades hit the heatsink.

What GPU is it? It's entirely likely it's not worth the cost of a replacement fan so it would probably better for you to look for a new or newer used GPU.

EbenMK

Prominent
Feb 29, 2020
That GPU looks pretty old, I'd guess the fan bearings are worn so badly it wobbles enough to let the blades hit the heatsink.

What GPU is it? It's entirely likely it's not worth the cost of a replacement fan so it would probably better for you to look for a new or newer used GPU.
It's a GTX1060 that I bought brand new 2 years ago