May 6, 2018
My GPU is very noisy on lowest fan speed. MSI Afterburner show 34% fan speed but its sounds like 100% fan speed. i change the fan speed to 100% the noise doesnt change, all fan speed setting make same noise. before i clean the gpu its doesnt like this i can control the gpu fan speed. and when i play games fan rpm is always 0. am i broke something on the gpu? i just reapply the thermal paste and clean the dust. my gpu is MSI GTX 750 OC

Solution
The header likely could be soldered back to the PCB, but without the adequate knowledge & tools, it's probably not a route I would go - it's not going to be economical to pay someone to do it vs the cost of a comparable GPU.

A GT1030 would net you very similar performance, for ~$80.

As for what'll happen to the GPU - if the fan are operational, and keeping the card cool..... then you're fine.
It's noisier than ideal, obviously - but there's no risk of damage to the card itself (well, no additional damage).

Running at 100% fan speed, the fan itself will have a reduced lifespan vs it being adaptive.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Is the fan connector on the card fully seated? When removing the connectors, if you pull on the wires, you can dislodge one.
In theory, that could easily disable the PWM control of a fan - resulting in it running 100% (much like a case fan directly connected to a PSU).

May 6, 2018

i tried to unplug the connector from this https://ibb.co/guuU3y but its so hard i think that's not the place to unplug the connector so i unplug from this https://ibb.co/mCoYVd and its finally unplugged. am i making a mistake? i've tried to plug and unplug the connector but the fan still noisy:(

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
No, you've actually removed the fan header from the PCB!!! The first pic is what you should be removing.

I'm not sure that'll reseat and make great the correct connection to have control over the fans -- honestly, I'm surprised the fan works at all.

May 6, 2018

omg, then what should i do? lets say the fan speed is always 100% what will happen to the gpu? just making a loudly noise? or it can reduce lifespan

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The header likely could be soldered back to the PCB, but without the adequate knowledge & tools, it's probably not a route I would go - it's not going to be economical to pay someone to do it vs the cost of a comparable GPU.

A GT1030 would net you very similar performance, for ~$80.

As for what'll happen to the GPU - if the fan are operational, and keeping the card cool..... then you're fine.
It's noisier than ideal, obviously - but there's no risk of damage to the card itself (well, no additional damage).

Running at 100% fan speed, the fan itself will have a reduced lifespan vs it being adaptive.

Solution
May 6, 2018

before i clean up the gpu, the temp is 90c when full load with 100% fan speed. now its just 60c when full load. but i cant control the fan speed now well i guess i'll be using it till i buy a new gpu. thanks for your help

TRENDING THREADS