[SOLVED] GPU Fan Not Spinning!

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Hello,

I've got a Zotac Twin Edge RTX 3070, where the big fan on the right stopped spinning.
zt-a30700e-10p-image02_1.jpg

Product Link:
Notes:
  • It's fully clean, and you can't see any dust or anything 'visible' clogging it. - ( It was in a pc lifted wayyy above the floor)
  • I've got 3x RTX 3070, all of them seems easy to spin! They all spin with Air blowers or your fingers EASY! But this fan (on the right) doesn't!
  • The fan seems hard & slow to spin even with your finger, as if it's like glued almost, where other GPUs fans spin so easy!
  • I never ran the fan more than 58-63c, never had it on 100% all the time neither.
  • I monitor temps daily, i noticed it not spinning when I saw the temps rising to 70-80c & the fan still sits at 0%, where the one on the left is spinning.
  • Warranty expired :(
Question:
  1. With everything I've said above, the way its very slow to spin even with your finger, does that mean I need to replace the fan or is there still hope?
  2. is there a way I can perhaps spray Lubricant Oil while its attached? - (As this GPU seems really hard to disassemble to get to fans that i'd rather not do it myself)
  3. When it's hard to spin even with your finger, is that a good sign that you can easily repair it, or is that a bad sign? 😕
Any suggestions? I'm trying to see if I can fix it 'easily', without fully detaching it because I saw a youtube video these GPUs you need to almost fully disassemble it to get to the fan :/ otherwise i'd gotta hope a repair shop got spare fans and fix it for me..

Thank you. ♥

Solution
Hey there,

Yes, that really does sound like a dead fan. I guess it's possible the fan bearings or mount has come loose and is possibly blocking the fan from working.

IMO, there's little you can do, other than disassemble. If you are not comfortable with that, then it's harder to diagnose, and equally so to replace the fan. A good option might be to bring to local repair store (reputable) and get them to swap it out if you have confidence in them.

Whilst spraying some kind of oil 'could' help, unless you disassemble you risk getting that residue over other components. I'd prob stay away from that. Not knowing how that could affect maybe the socket if it's dripping or even touches one of the contacts.

It's possible to purchase...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'm trying to see if I can fix it 'easily'

No easy fix for that.

Fan replacement would be only thing to get it working, given that the fan bearing has gone bad (lubricant from the bearing has seeped out, hence why there is considerable resistance in turning the fan).

If GPU temps under load are reasonable (below 80C) then you can just live with that fan not working. But if that fan is critical in cooling the GPU by avoiding thermal throttle, then look into the fan replacement.

Hey there,

Yes, that really does sound like a dead fan. I guess it's possible the fan bearings or mount has come loose and is possibly blocking the fan from working.

IMO, there's little you can do, other than disassemble. If you are not comfortable with that, then it's harder to diagnose, and equally so to replace the fan. A good option might be to bring to local repair store (reputable) and get them to swap it out if you have confidence in them.

Whilst spraying some kind of oil 'could' help, unless you disassemble you risk getting that residue over other components. I'd prob stay away from that. Not knowing how that could affect maybe the socket if it's dripping or even touches one of the contacts.

It's possible to purchase replacement fans on AliExpress etc, but you need to know the exact part. But, again, if you're not comfortable with replacing the fan, you are running out of options.

Solution

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Thank you both for replying,

As my Warranty expired, how much approximately do you think it would cost me to have them fix it for me? (Let's say they take $10 for repair, how much would the extra fan work would cost?)

Thank you both for replying,

As my Warranty expired, how much approximately do you think it would cost me to have them fix it for me? (Let's say they take $10 for repair, how much would the extra fan work would cost?)

No problem, glad to offer advice.

So, yes, you are about right. I wouldn't expect anything more than 20£$€ for the check-up. An additional cost of the fan and shipping may about the same. I can't be sure, because I don't know which fan it would be, and 'precisely' how much it would cost, without research. But, not more than £$€20 more for the fan. So, a rough guesstimate would be 50£$€. Installing the fan should take about 30 mins, so I wouldn't be paying a large amount for labour costs. That should be covered under the initial assessment from the repair store. Just confirm with them first.

Hope that helps some! :)

Reactions: xxxbabyxxx

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Thank you once again, I guess i'll give up on that fan.

1 Finger spin makes the logo spin 180 degree ONCE, where same spin makes other fans spins like 20x times.

I'm scared of disassembling it, specially that Zotac one seems really annoying unlike others where you just remove the logo and you can see the bearing..
I'll ask the store if they can repair it for me as my warranty expired & idk if they do repairs AT ALL (they usually SHIP your cards back to ZOTAC/China for repairs), if they dont do repairs then i have to yolo swag do it myself and im not excited about that :p it would be a thread for another time thanks again guys!

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Thank you once again, I guess i'll give up on that fan.

1 Finger spin makes the logo spin 180 degree ONCE, where same spin makes other fans spins like 20x times.

I'm scared of disassembling it, specially that Zotac one seems really annoying unlike others where you just remove the logo and you can see the bearing..
I'll ask the store if they can repair it for me as my warranty expired & idk if they do repairs AT ALL (they usually SHIP your cards back to ZOTAC/China for repairs), if they dont do repairs then i have to yolo swag do it myself and im not excited about that :p it would be a thread for another time thanks again guys!

Okay, I hope this goes okay for you. Let us know. Drop me a PM, and I can advise further if I can. Am happy to look at some teardowns for you, and see if it's a simple enough process. I know these things sound daunting (they were for me too, until I did them, and came out the other side unscathed :) ) But you can do it! :) Believe :)

Reactions: xxxbabyxxx

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Okay, I hope this goes okay for you. Let us know. Drop me a PM, and I can advise further if I can. Am happy to look at some teardowns for you, and see if it's a simple enough process. I know these things sound daunting (they were for me too, until I did them, and came out the other side unscathed :) ) But you can do it! :) Believe :)
Tysm!🙂 I've bookmarked this thread I'll keep that in mind <3

Last edited: