GPU Fan Problem?

chensonnyy

Commendable
Jul 21, 2018
So i have a GeForce GTX 1080Ti SC2 and my PC has been running smoothly. But today my GPU fans have spinning more than usual (speeds around 500 RPM) according to CAM. Usually i would game for a couple of hours and after the GPU temp hits about 60c, then the fans would spin. But now i could game for a bit and my GPUfans would just start spinning. It isn't affecting my game play but should i be worried? Or is it just doing its job.

Solution
No problem.

Download MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner:
https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner
(Riva is bundled).

Install/run it. Click the settings "cog" and then the "fan" tab and check "enable user defined..."

It's pretty self expanatory from there. X% Fan speed and X'C Temp. You'll see the stock fan curve initially (probably starts at 60'C, or ramps up at 60'C based on what you've said) If you bump it a little higher at lower temps, you might not need such the aggressive jump at 60'C...... but some trial & error will be required.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What kind of temps are you seeing now?

The fans running ,especially at relatively low RPM is not a huge concern - although if nothing has changed, yet the fans now ramp up.... that's interesting.

What does your case airflow look like? Perhaps there's dust build up limiting airflow/increasing temps, resulting in the fans kicking in earlier?

chensonnyy

Commendable
Jul 21, 2018
When I'm just casually watching some youtube or just surfing the web, my GPU and CPU temps are usually around 35c, and if I'm gaming for an extended amount of time it can rise to anywhere between 45c-60c, depending on what game and how long I play. As for my airflow, I have an NZXT S340 elite case which has 2 pre-installed fans that both push out air (one in the back and one in the top) and I also have 2 fans which I installed which pull in air (NZXT Kraken x62 aio cooler). There's also a dust filter so it doesn't pull in dust. The fans only started spinning earlier than usual this morning so im stumped as what might be wrong. Maybe the fans are just doing its job? Anyway, sorry for the long reply

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Sounds about right for such a high end card.

Are they audible? Or you're just concerned that they're running? They absolutely should be running at 60'C.

You could look to a custom fan curve (kick 'em in at low speed for lower temps), which would reduce the need to ramp up too much and keep them quieter.

chensonnyy

Commendable
Jul 21, 2018
Yes, the fans are quite audible. That's actually how I noticed the fans were spinning in the first place. The fact that I could hear the fans spinning with my earbuds on is actually what concerned me in the first place. And could you also explain to me about this custom fan curve thing? I'm new when it comes to PC's. Sorry for the trouble, I really appreciate your help

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
No problem.

Download MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner:
https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner
(Riva is bundled).

Install/run it. Click the settings "cog" and then the "fan" tab and check "enable user defined..."

It's pretty self expanatory from there. X% Fan speed and X'C Temp. You'll see the stock fan curve initially (probably starts at 60'C, or ramps up at 60'C based on what you've said) If you bump it a little higher at lower temps, you might not need such the aggressive jump at 60'C...... but some trial & error will be required.

Solution