Question GPU Fan Randomly Ramps up to 4,000 RPM Momentarily

Aug 26, 2020
I bought a Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC White way back in December as a Christmas present for myself, and a few months after buying it I suddenly noticed the GPU fans will randomly ramp up to ~4,000 RPM for a second or so, and then go back down to the normal ~2,000-2,500 RPM that I have set on my fan curve. This will happen every few minutes or so while the GPU is under load, but I've noticed that it's almost guaranteed to happen when loading into battles and loading the garage in War Thunder. According to HWiNFO, my GPU never goes any higher than ~74 degrees when playing games, and according to my fan curve, my GPU fan should be sitting around 74% speed, or ~2,300 RPM - which it does perfectly fine, except for the few seconds that it decides to ramp up to 4,000 RPM.

I do some very minor overclocking with MSI Afterburner, which I also use for my fan curve. I've tried disabling MSI Afterburner's overclock, using Gigabyte's <Mod Edit> Aorus Engine fan control instead, using no fan control at all, etc. but to no avail. I also use Process Lasso for RAM cleaning and core prio and stuff, but afaik that program doesn't touch GPU fan control at all. The GPU is practically new, so dust shouldn't be any sort of issue, but I even looked in the system and gave it a good spray just in case. Also tried updating drivers, downgrading drivers, removing and re-seating the GPU, basically everything I can think of.

So to me it looks like all I can do is just RMA. But that's where this post comes in. I've heard so, so many horror stories about Gigabyte support and RMA. Either it taking months to get their parts back, getting their parts back still broken and needing to RMA again, waiting weeks for replies from support, and overall just very <Mod Edit> customer service. I was about to RMA, but the problem started happening right around when everything started getting crazy with the pandemic (coincidence?). After hearing all these horror stories not only about Gigabyte, but about tremendously long shipping times and whatnot in general, I decided I'd just deal with the noise because I was living with my family and had my own room. I'm back at college now, though (for now at least..), and I feel as if the noise of my GPU fans are too loud and I feel too embarrassed to play games when my roommate is in the room (all his classes are online so he hasn't left the dorm since Sunday morning, send help).

So basically I'd be incredibly grateful for any sort of ideas on what the issue could be so that I could avoid an RMA, if possible. I'd be more than happy to supply any sort of test results or information that you may need to help troubleshoot - thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS