[SOLVED] GPU fan rattles like in the video. but only when it starts to spin.

Jul 6, 2021
So my Gigabyte gtx 1660 card (Yes i have heard gigabyte has been REALLY bad for the last decade with GPU fans.) starts making rattling noise only when it's about to start spinning and when it starts spinning (Anything above 8% RPM) the noise stops completely. at any % given the noise stops. only happens when it starts to spin. any ideas ? i passed the RMA period and i can't ask my parent's for a new graphics card (Had this one for almost 2 years now.)
Any ideas?
Here is the video :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj78YUm4tP4

The bearings are causing that on startup.
In general this alone doesn't cause a problem.
It's not ideal...but it may go a long time like that.
Although it's a sign of "less that ideal" bearings, and if it bothered me I'd change the fan.
If it didn't bother me I'd keep an eye on it.

Reactions: Bassman999
Jul 6, 2021
The bearings are causing that on startup.
In general this alone doesn't cause a problem.
It's not ideal...but it may go a long time like that.
Although it's a sign of "less that ideal" bearings, and if it bothered me I'd change the fan.
If it didn't bother me I'd keep an eye on it.

I have kept an eye on it ever since it started happening (Maybe a year or more ago) and nothing seems to be faulty..fans spin normally not shaky at all and temps are okay.
Should i just let it be ?

I have kept an eye on it ever since it started happening (Maybe a year or more ago) and nothing seems to be faulty..fans spin normally not shaky at all and temps are okay.
Should i just let it be ?
I've had fans do what yours is doing for years and they're still are doing it.
So it's possible for them to last that way for a very very long time.
in your case... "changing the fan" would depend on how much hearing the noise...and keeping an eye on the fan....bugged me.

Jul 6, 2021
I've had fans do what yours is doing for years and they're still are doing it.
So it's possible for them to last that way for a very very long time.
in your case... "changing the fan" would depend on how much hearing the noise...and keeping an eye on the fan....bugged me.

The noise honestly can't be heard unless you're sitting beside the case or if you're like close to the case. and the noises lasts for exactly 2.1 seconds on the stop watch. any other % of the fan speed is as quiet as it could be. no rattling to shaking or loud noises or anything. i have seen people with much worse cases who couldn't do anything and their cards are still healthy. it's just worrying me. So should i just let it go?

With that most recent description....it sounds pretty minor and I could see myself letting it go.

Not only that....I don't think the fan is just going to come to a dead stop on you.

Usually they get noisier....a lot noisier...for a while....before they stop.

Jul 6, 2021
With that most recent description....it sounds pretty minor and I could see myself letting it go.

Not only that....I don't think the fan is just going to come to a dead stop on you.

Nope mine never gets that noisy before it stops. they are really quiet till the moment they stop and when they start up again the noise is there. when they start spinning in a video game nope its quiet. i'm playing on 57% speed now (Rocket league) And no noise at all. tried fortnite again at 80% speed and nope..it is a bit loud but the normal loud not the rattling loud

Jul 6, 2021

But i do get what you mean , you just made me feel better so thanks a lot. I just wanted to add that if you're in the room (Where the case is) you can hear the rattle yes but just for a second and its gone. if you're like 5 feet away from the case it's noticable but not annoying. lasts for 2.1 seconds still. So im just gonna let it go and keep an eye on the fan speeds and noise with MSI afterburner. if i notice anything else i will try my best to solve it.

But i do get what you mean , you just made me feel better so thanks a lot. I just wanted to add that if you're in the room (Where the case is) you can hear the rattle yes but just for a second and its gone. if you're like 5 feet away from the case it's noticable but not annoying. lasts for 2.1 seconds still. So im just gonna let it go and keep an eye on the fan speeds and noise with MSI afterburner. if i notice anything else i will try my best to solve it.
I think this is what I would probably do.
It may stay that way forever.
If it gets worse...you can consider replacing it.
I think you will have a some time....as I said...I don't think it will stop right away.
Good luck with it.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
If it is annoying you, you can always set a custom curve on Afterburner and make the fun run at the lowest possible rpm when idle then make it speed up when it reaches a certain temperature. This way the fans won't need to start up and make that noise every time you put a load on the gpu.

Jul 6, 2021
If it is annoying you, you can always set a custom curve on Afterburner and make the fun run at the lowest possible rpm when idle then make it speed up when it reaches a certain temperature. This way the fans won't need to start up and make that noise every time you put a load on the gpu.

The idea is IT DOESN'T do that noise when the gpu is under load or when it's calming after a video game. it only happens when the fans start up to spin. other than that it's as quiet as it could be. i really am confused now.

The idea is IT DOESN'T do that noise when the gpu is under load or when it's calming after a video game. it only happens when the fans start up to spin. other than that it's as quiet as it could be. i really am confused now.
I think he was under the impression that you hear the noise all the time.
If you did...you could play with the fan curve...and possibly get rid of it.
...but you don't....so I would leave the fan curve be.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
I know.
My suggestion was to make the fans always spinning so they will only startup when the system is turned on, the default curve will make the fans stop at idle, but by setting a custom curve in Afterburner, you can set the fans to spin at a low speed while idle to prevent them from stopping and making the rattling noise when they start up again, I hope you got the idea.

Jul 6, 2021
So a couple of days ago i posted a question about the grinding noise my gpu makes when it starts spinning only everyone said its normal because gigabyte uses bad fans and bearings. So i lat it go. Today as i was cleaning my case i noticed that the plastic cover covering the motherboard of my gpu has a broken part around the screw that causes it to bend up a little? You all can see it right? I tested the gpu and its workint extremely fine last temp it reaches is 82C under heavy pressure and it isn't as loud even. So i guess its just cosmetic damage but it really sucks :/ what should i do??
Here is a picture : View: https://imgur.com/a/vVcoszm

Jul 6, 2021
That looks like good old fashioned-Turn card on heat=expansion, Turn card off =cooling. Repeat hundreds of times and result is failure of plastic. Imho.
The thing is only this part is like that , i noticed it before like months ago but i was naive to ignore it. Went to a friends place that has like the exact same card his gpu runs way hotter than mine and he starts an aggressive game plays it for a few minutes then shuts it down and repeat. And i was surprised he didnt have the same issue since thats what i thought at first too. But just one question..is that dangerous?? Should i be concerned???
It also happened with ONLY this screw so idk..

The thing is only this part is like that , i noticed it before like months ago but i was naive to ignore it. Went to a friends place that has like the exact same card his gpu runs way hotter than mine and he starts an aggressive game plays it for a few minutes then shuts it down and repeat. And i was surprised he didnt have the same issue since thats what i thought at first too. But just one question..is that dangerous?? Should i be concerned???
It also happened with ONLY this screw so idk..
I can't really tell what if anything that bow would impede if anything like a fan. Other than that I don't see any problem other than knowing it's there.

Jul 6, 2021
I can't really tell what if anything that bow would impede if anything like a fan. Other than that I don't see any problem other than knowing it's there.
It's the backplate yeah that's what its called..i did some search on google and everyone said its just aesthetic and that backplates are useless anyway? Unless it prevents dust or liquid? Any ideas?

It's the backplate yeah that's what its called..i did some search on google and everyone said its just aesthetic and that backplates are useless anyway? Unless it prevents dust or liquid? Any ideas?
Yeah, the backplate in the majority of the GPUs is useless and in some even "hurts" performance by having a tad worse temps than without it.
There are some that do use it correctly and it helps but not really as much as they should.

Jul 6, 2021
Yeah, the backplate in the majority of the GPUs is useless and in some even "hurts" performance by having a tad worse temps than without it.
There are some that do use it correctly and it helps but not really as much as they should.
So about the broken plastic around only 1 of the screws..should i just let it go?? It wont hurt anything right?? This is taking the sleep away from my eyes..

Jul 6, 2021

TRENDING THREADS