Question GPU fan reach max rpm randomly

Erithlor

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
My GPU fan started to act weirdly in the past week. During gaming every 2-3 minutes minutes one of the GPU fans reach max rpm, it stays like that for ~10 seconds then stops for a second and then back to normal for 2-3 minutes. It also ignores Afterburner settings. If I set for example 50% fan speed manually it still does that max spin thing every 2-3 minutes. I tried to unplug the fan, but if I do that then the other two fans on the GPU start to do this.

This happens only during gaming. If I set GPU speed to 50% and leave the pc idle, it will stay like that.

What could be the problem? GPU controller is dying? Bad driver?

My card is rtx 2080 ti. I bought it two years ago. There are no dust, all temps as usual.

Lutfij

Titan
You could try and uninstall your GPU drivers using DDU and reinstall the drivers with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site. Manually install the driver in an elevated command ,i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Also check and see what version of BIOS you're running for your motherboard. Speaking of which, list yours full system's specs.

Erithlor

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
My full specs are:

Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Master
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3000Mhz
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio
Power Supply: Seasonic Prime 850w Titanium
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout TG
CPU cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
SSD: Samsung 860 Pro 256GB
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB

Who exactly controls gpu fans? Is it motherboard? Bios? Windows? Gpu driver?

ASK THE COMMUNITY