GPU fan shaking a bit, can it damage the motherboard socket?

Razvan_aga

Honorable
Jul 3, 2017
Hello guys, I have found a fan blade on the bottom of my case and since then, the rotation cause it to shake. I am using msi afterburner to control the speed, and on 50 to 75% fan speed, it shakes like hell, on 40 and higher than 80, the shakes are smaller because of the speed.

Can this shake damage the motherboard?
I want to get a new gpu in a week or less, so this shake won't last long, but can the shake damage the socket?

Solution
Just keep the use down to a minimum. Over a period of time this will not do the socket, or the board any good. I would personally wait until you have the new GPU - safest bet.

Kenton82

Reputable
The fan blade that has come off will have upset the balance of the whole fan, that's why it will be shaking. It's the same as a wheel on your car not being balanced properly. As far as the motherboard socket is concerned, it SHOULD be ok, but have a look at your temps and decide if you can lower the speed of the fan curve to reduce the vibrations. I would also reduce the amount you are using the PC until you have your new GPU. You could also try removing the side panel of your PC to see if that helps with the cooling at lower fan speeds.

Razvan_aga

Honorable
Jul 3, 2017

My gpu is cooled down properly, I saw max 60 celcius in a team fight of Dota. I keep the cooler on 40 while idle or browsing, and 80 while playing something. I saw that on those speeds the shaking it's the least, or atleast on 40 is the least shaking.

So I should not worry about any further damage on the socket?