[SOLVED] GPU fan shutting down after ~30 min. Won't start up again. Causing overheating

Jan 6, 2020
Ive been having this problem with my GPU for a few weeks (GPU: Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB).

When I first boot up my computer the GPU runs fans run pretty well (a bit of a squeak now and again). I can control the spin using MSI Afterburner.

However, after about 30-45 of gaming, the card starts to heat up a bit and the fan shuts down completely, hitting 0 RPM. Once the fan shuts down, the card just gets hotter and hotter, reaching temperatures up to 100 degrees Celsius (over 200 f). I'm not sure if the fan is shutting down because of the heat, or if its some other process shutting it down.

Once it shuts down, I cannot get it spinning again, even using MSI Afterburner with the entire curve at 100%. The only way to get the card spinning again seems to be to shut down the PC, and let it cool for a while.

I have tried moving the GPU to a different PCIe slot. I have tried a clean install of the drivers. At this point I don't know what else to do. I know the fan is capable of spinning, but I cant figure out for the life of me whats shutting it down and how to fix it.

Anything else I can try?
Details: View: https://imgur.com/a/f30Ksfj

Jan 6, 2020
Ive been having this problem with my GPU for a few weeks (GPU: Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB).

When I first boot up my computer the GPU runs fans run pretty well (a bit of a squeak now and again). I can control the spin using MSI Afterburner.

However, after about 30-45 of gaming, the card starts to heat up a bit and the fan shuts down completely, hitting 0 RPM. Once the fan shuts down, the card just gets hotter and hotter, reaching temperatures up to 100 degrees Celsius (over 200 f). I'm not sure if the fan is shutting down because of the heat, or if its some other process shutting it down.

Once it shuts down, I cannot get it spinning again, even using MSI Afterburner with the entire curve at 100%. The only way to get the card spinning again seems to be to shut down the PC, and let it cool for a while.

I have tried moving the GPU to a different PCIe slot. I have tried a clean install of the drivers. At this point I don't know what else to do. I know the fan is capable of spinning, but I cant figure out for the life of me whats shutting it down and how to fix it.

Anything else I can try?

Anything else I can try?
I wonder if this could be a symptom of a bad thermal transfer from the GPU to the cooling system. How old is the product ? If it is NOT under warranty then I would suggest that you repaste the heatsink . This is not a difficult nor expensive task and could be worth the effort.