Question GPU Fan Speed at this temperature normal?

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014
Alrighty, just got a Gigabyte RX 580 for 190 Euros with World War Z and The Division 2.

Sweet deal. Right off the Bat, I get a BSOD when trying to launch the first game.

Off to a great start. So then I start noticing that every single time I boot it up, the GPU makes some strange noise (Possible 100% Fan speed) during a couple of seconds and then goes back to normal.

Anyways, all those issues apart, I started noticing that my GPU would get really hot; so I setup an aggressive fan curve using MSI Afterburner and I ran The Division 2 at a mixture of high / medium hitting 90 FPS. However while I noticed that my temps did seem to increase, the fan speed regularly stuck at between 73-75%. My peak temperature during my one hour gaming session was around 71 degrees with an average of what I believe to not exceed 68/69 degrees.

Should I consult my retailer? Not only because of the fans, but also because of the previous reasons?

Or is this normal?

Can anybody confirm? Thanks!

Which POWER SUPPLY unit are you using ? List the make/model number. Also, provide more info of your RIG, the OS build, motherboard's model, BIOS version etc.

Try doing doing a re-install of the MSI AB tool. First remove all previously saved profiles, fan curves etc., and do a CLEAN install. Is the GPU seated firmly on the PCI-e slot ? Those GPU temps are normal. Nothing to worry about. But, what about the CPU TEMP while gaming ?

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014
Which POWER SUPPLY unit are you using ? List the make/model number. Also, provide more info of your RIG, the OS build, motherboard's model, BIOS version etc.

Try doing doing a re-install of the MSI AB tool. First remove all previously saved profiles, fan curves etc., and do a CLEAN install. Is the GPU seated firmly on the PCI-e slot ? Those GPU temps are normal. Nothing to worry about. But, what about the CPU TEMP while gaming ?

So this isn't normal then?

Alright, I was previously using a R9 280 which I had no issues with. My O.S is Windows 10. Although I'm yet to activate it.
My PSU is a Corsair CX550M and is about 2 years old.
My Motherboard is a B250 Krait; According to System Information, my Bios is "American Megatrends Inc. H.00 12/15/2016"
Yes the GPU is firmly seated in the PCIE slot and firmly screwed in as well as plugged in.

CPU Temperatures are all normal. I've just cleaned my PC and re-applied fresh thermal paste a couple of days ago. CPU Temps while gaming The Division 2 don't exceed 68 Degrees. I use the aftermarket cooler Hyper 212x and have 3 case fans that are running at 100% speed. My CPU fan curve is rather aggressive as I used MSI CC to configure it to my liking.

MSI Afterburner as well as MSI CC are both up to date.

So, is the GPU Temperature in relation to the Fan Speed Normal? GPU Idle temp sits at 37 / 38 degrees with 47-50% fan speed

Last edited:
So, is the GPU Temperature in relation to the Fan Speed Normal?

Honestly speaking, I can't really comment on this with surety. But if you ask me, then I think the temp is slightly on a higher side, when the fan speed is between 73-75%, IMO. It's not alarming though. But, can you manually cap out the fans to 100% via MSI AB tool ? What's the GPU temp when the fans are at 100% speed ?

What about the BSOD ? Does this happen each time you play any game, or only with World War Z/Division 2 ??

Last edited:

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014
Honestly speaking, I can't really comment on this with surety. But if you ask me, then I think the temp is slightly on a higher side, when the fan speed is between 73-75%, IMO. But, can you manually cap out the fans to 100% via MSI AB tool ? What's the GPU temp when the fans are at 100% speed ?

What about the BSOD ? Does this happen each time you play any game, or only with World War Z/Division 2 ??

I've yet to test with the fan speed on 100%. My curve is rather aggressive. 70 - 75% Fan Speed under load gives me 68 - 72 Degrees in The Division 2.

Nope, no BSOD since. Only when I tried launching Rising Storm 2 Vietnam yesterday. I installed the card, fresh outta the box, got my drivers, restarted, got on steam and right as I clicked got a BSOD.

No incidents since yesterday. Only suspicious thing is how the cards fans ramp up to 100% when bootup, although it could be something else.

TRENDING THREADS