Gpu fan speed reduces some times

Oscar90x

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015
Hello everyone! So the problem with my GPU is the fan speed. My GPU tends to heat up alot so I use MSI Afterburner to adjust the fan speed up to about 61-70%! But recently when I play Diablo 3, I can hear that the fan speed sometimes reduces and when I tab out of the game I can hear that the fan speed goes up again. My GPU is a AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series.

I was hoping I could get some answers here at Tomshardware and maybe it could fix my problem!

Best Regards Oscar!

Solution

Oscar90x

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015

Where can I see my fan profile?

Open MSI afterburner and you will see a slider at the bottom that says "fan speed %". To the right of that slider there is a button that says "user define" and has a gear on it. Click that until a green highlight appears around the fan speed slider. Now click the settings button on the lower right. Then click on the fan tab. You will see a graph that shows what fan speed your gpu will have a what temperature. Either take a creen capture of that and share it in a post, or tell us what points the graph has on it.

Oscar90x

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015

here is a picture http://imgur.com/BhccmaV

You need a more aggressive curve for that AMD card. Move the 2nd point in the graph(currently set for 50% fan at 50C) up to 60% fan. Then move the 3rd point left to be at 60C. Then move the last point to the left to be at 70C.

Do that and let us know if your card is running cooler.

Also, let us know what msi afterburner says your gpu and cpu load are during gameplay and when you aren't playing a game but the fans seem to speed up.

Solution

Oscar90x

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015

Do you mean CPU Usage or Celsius / Fan Speed under load?

I want to know what your cpu usage and your gpu usage are both while playing diablo 3 and when you are not playing diablo 3 when you hear the fans speed up.

Oscar90x

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015

Okey so my GPU Usage is 85-99% when playing Diablo 3 and CPU Usage is 35-50% when playing Diablo 3. when I play games my GPU gets up to 85-91 celsius I don't know if thats dangerous or not, but with the new graph you showed me my fan speed is always 95-100%. can it destroy my GPU if it runs 95-100% all the time when I play games?