GPU fan speed.

arunrathee110

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
Hello, I have GTX 970. And In my country, summers can be tough for gaming.
So I usually ramp up GPU's fan speed. While that helps keeping GPU's temp below 75c.

I wanted to ask what's the 'not dangerous' range of GPU's fan speed. I keep it at 80% while gaming. So is it okay ? Or am I hurting my GPU in any way ?

Solution
Having the fans constantly spinning that fast will reduce their lifespan a bit, but you likely won't have your video card long enough to encounter that kind of failure. But no, having the fans set to 80% won't harm the GPU itself. The GTX 970 can operate safely into the upper 80's before needing to throttle. So you can probably set your fan speed much lower than what you're currently setting them to and still achieve temperatures below 80c.

Silverbear

Honorable
Feb 24, 2015
Having the fans constantly spinning that fast will reduce their lifespan a bit, but you likely won't have your video card long enough to encounter that kind of failure. But no, having the fans set to 80% won't harm the GPU itself. The GTX 970 can operate safely into the upper 80's before needing to throttle. So you can probably set your fan speed much lower than what you're currently setting them to and still achieve temperatures below 80c.

Solution

arunrathee110

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016

^^Thanks for clearing my doubt. Good day.