Status
Not open for further replies.

Way_B

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 4G
CPU: intel i5-2320
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 W0070 430W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply

Both fans are spinning on my GPU fairly loudly. But the monitor does not display while it's plugged into the GPU. I boot with the GPU installed onto the motherboard, and the fans spinning, but when I switched the dvi cord to my onboard graphics, the monitor got the signal.

I'm confused because I'm not seeing any hints that I don't have enough power, seeing as the fans are spinning pretty quick, but the display only comes from onboard graphics while the card is in its pcie slot, and both 6pin connectors are plugged in.

I currently do not have the drivers for the GPU installed, but I did disable the intel onboard graphics (although im confused how i'm seeing on the monitor with it, when i disabled it on my device manager).

How do I get my GPU to display on my monitor?

Solution
As said with a R9 380 4Gb card, you really need to be looking at a more powerful power supply unit in your system to keep it stable, It may work fine in windows before you install the Ati graphics driver for the card.

But once the graphics driver is installed it allows the full potential of the Gpu on the card to be opened up.
The power draw of the card then increases even in windows sat at the desktop, because hardware Gui acceleration is enabled. plus hardware video decoding for videos.

Anyway back to the main problem, that you almost solved yourself.
If the card is new and you have not had a Pci-e based card fitted to your system before the 380 graphics card you bought.
And the motherboard does have on board video output to your...

ecox226

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

I looked up that power supply as far as I can tell it only has 1pci-e 6 pin connector and the 380 requires 2. Correct me if I'm wrong on that but I think you may need a new power supply

ecox226

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
If I were you I would get a new power supply, 430 watts is barely if enough for a 380. You also wouldn't have to use sketchy adapters to power your gpu if you got a higher wattage one with 2x6 pin pci-e connectors, get a good reliable one and you won't regret it.

ecox226

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
Sorry man, don't think I can help you, I don't know if you'll be able to power that gpu with that power supply. Hopefully someone else can help you but my suggestion is to try a different power supply. Best of luck to you!

As said with a R9 380 4Gb card, you really need to be looking at a more powerful power supply unit in your system to keep it stable, It may work fine in windows before you install the Ati graphics driver for the card.

But once the graphics driver is installed it allows the full potential of the Gpu on the card to be opened up.
The power draw of the card then increases even in windows sat at the desktop, because hardware Gui acceleration is enabled. plus hardware video decoding for videos.

Anyway back to the main problem, that you almost solved yourself.
If the card is new and you have not had a Pci-e based card fitted to your system before the 380 graphics card you bought.
And the motherboard does have on board video output to your monitor.
All you basically do is connect the monitor cable via the motherboard to the monitor like you did.

You then need to enter the bios of your motherboard.
For the setting of default graphics display or initialization. Simply set the interface mode from Igpu Fx in the bios to Pci-e or Peg mode.

Save the new settings before you exit the bios.
Swap the video cable from the video ports of the motherboard to the Video ports of the R9 380 graphics card.

The next time you restart the system or power it up you should get a screen output from the video ports of the R9 380 graphics card to your monitor.

That is providing that the 430W PSU you currently have in your system is enough to power the R9 380 card.
While your about it make sure you have connected all of the 12v Pci-e power connectors from the Psu direct to the R9 380 card.

And that you have connected the eight pin Eatx 12v power block from your psu to your motherboard also.
If the board has a eight pin 12 Eatx located near or around the cpu socket of the motherboard, or found near the top or back edge of your motherboard make sure all of the eight pin 12v Eatx are connected.

If you only have four out of the eight connected it is also a reason as to why you get no screen image or output signal from the R9 380 to your monitor, you must have all eight 12v feeds from the Psu connected to that point on the motherboard.

If you check all of that is correct, and the power supply you have is enough to properly drive the R9 380 graphics card you will get an output image to the monitor.

Solution

Way_B

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
For people who encounter the problem I'll document everything I did in trouble shooting (as accurate as I can; to a fault):

Reboot PC, No display.
Reboot PC with Motherboard graphics
Uninstalled all previous Graphics drivers,
Rebooted PC with GPU, No display,
Rebooted in with Motherboard graphics, set to reboot in safe mode,
Rebooted PC with GPU, No display,
Moved to Onboard display, rebooted,
*moped around for 2 hours reading and enlightening myself on the wonders of sliced bread*
Rebooted with Mother board graphics,
Turn off
Unwire everything,
Chill out for 2 hours
rewire everything
Rebooted with GPU, display.

Thank you to both of you/

In my case, because I bought a stock PC, the Bios was really weird as in no BIOS settings/setup option on startup menu whatsoever. I'd venture to figure on any storebought motherboard with a decent BIOS, the BIOS issue would be nonexistent and disabling onboard graphics would be the easiest solution, but that's just speculation.

Way_B

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
but yeah, i am buying a psu in 24 hours because at this point, I've put in about 24 hours including sleep dedicated to tinkering around two computers at the same time, and I've put in way too much money and time to risk the entire thing getting boned over a lack of electricity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS