GPU fan stopped working.

AndrewMC1994

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
A couple of days ago I was installing a new cpu and when I had finished with that I went to plug the PSU back in and when I did spark (I forgot to turn the power switch of). My PSU then had a very bad whining noise but the PC still worked.

I have now changed the PSU and the whining is gone. However one of the fans on my GPU has stopped working luckily my system has pretty good cooling and the other fan is still working, it still runs at cool temperatures and performs fine in intensive games such as Shadow of Mordor.

I think I broke the fan when the PSU sparked, my stupid mistake for leaving the power switch on.

Basically the faulty PSU has been changed to a new one, the GPU still appears damaged but is running perfectly fine for now.

My questions is: Is it ok to run the GPU even though one of the fans is faulty and can it cause any more harm to my system,

From the PSU spark my GPU and PSU seem to be the only components affected as my motherboard and processor are both running excellently with temps at around 20c and 30-40c.

GPU has temps at around 35c to 39c on idle and 51c on load in Shadow of Mordor.

I should mention also that the GPU is making a very low/silent buzzing noise.

AndrewMC1994

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015

No, I had RMA on the PSU though so will likely replace it and then sell it.

I was planning on replacing my GPU which is a GTX 660 with a GTX 970 very soon. I could then sell the GTX 660 as faulty.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
well, so long as temperatures are ok, temperature isnt an issue. lol. (obviously.)

random electrical damage is a strange beast though. you should consider yourself lucky that all you lost was a fan. really anything at this point is unavoidable. i would wager you are ok. just keep monitoring your temps.

you could always consider replacing the fan with something that connects directly into the mobo. fanspeed control would be a bit awkward but any fan would be better than none.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED

that may work. though it may not. depending on the source of the fan trouble. is it the fan that is dead or is it the circuitry which controls it?

AndrewMC1994

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
http://postimg.org/image/o7hswwmn1/full/

Thats a screenshot of HWmonitor the temps seems perfectly normal to me.

If the temps are fine then I don't see any need to messing around with the fan.

AndrewMC1994

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015

Yeah i think ill purchase one either today or tomorrow. I'm sure my GTX 660 will survive till then.