Question GPU fan stuck at 106% and does not respond to MSI afterburner ?

Dec 9, 2022
Hi
I bought a used sapphire pulse 6800xt. Before I plugged it in I DDU wiped my PC, but the moment I switched it on the fans started howling (max RPM). Even after installing AMD drivers, using MSI afterburner and AMD software to try slow them down they are running at 106%/3500 rpm according to HW monitor. Temps when idle are around 30c

what I have tried:
  • reseated the GPU
  • uninstalled and reinstalled MSI afterburner
  • bios flashed the GPU
  • updated the Motherboard Bios
  • DDU wiped and reinstalled the drivers
  • disassembled the GPU, cleaned, re-pasted and made sure the connector was properly plugged in. I might add the heatsink was dirty had a lot of corrosion but temps are really good
  • swapped the PSU

Pretty sure it is a hardware issue but wanted to see if there is anything else I can try.

• MSI MAG FORGE 100R Case
  • AMD 9 5900x
  • MSI tomahawk 570s wifi
  • Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz
  • Sapphire pulse 6800xt.
  • MSI(MPG A750GF) 750W

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Pretty sure it is a hardware issue but wanted to see if there is anything else I can try.
I'm certain that the card had been used for mining and the high temps/or the fans running at full tilt is a result of an area on the board that's been damaged due to mining. In fact you've tried pretty much everything however I am curious, where did you source the VBIOS for your GPU in order to flash it? To also double down, how did you flash the VBIOS on the GPU?

Motherboard's BIOS version? As for your MSI afterburner, where did you download the app from? There's a nasty instance of the app that's being used for mining(or at least there's s hidden miner on a malware laced Afterburner);
View: https://youtu.be/XNF3NZR20J0?t=81

That being said, how old is the PSU on your build?
swapped the PSU
What did you swap it out for?

Dec 9, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'm certain that the card had been used for mining and the high temps/or the fans running at full tilt is a result of an area on the board that's been damaged due to mining. In fact you've tried pretty much everything however I am curious, where did you source the VBIOS for your GPU in order to flash it? To also double down, how did you flash the VBIOS on the GPU?

Motherboard's BIOS version? As for your MSI afterburner, where did you download the app from? There's a nasty instance of the app that's being used for mining(or at least there's s hidden miner on a malware laced Afterburner);
View: https://youtu.be/XNF3NZR20J0?t=81

That being said, how old is the PSU on your build?
swapped the PSU

Thanks for posting a response.

where did you source the VBIOS for your GPU in order to flash it?

Downloaded it from Techpowerup.

To also double down, how did you flash the VBIOS on the GPU?

I used the AMDVBFlash tool that I also downloaded from the techpowerup website

Motherboard's BIOS version?
updated to the latest bios from MSI version 7D54v14 released 2022-08-30

As for your MSI afterburner, where did you download the app from?

Yeah I saw that and double checked where I got it and it is the real deal, besides temps and GPU usage are normal when idle (actually really cool because of the 100% fan speed)

that being said, how old is the PSU on your build?

2 weeks old, bought it specifically because I was getting the card

swapped the PSU
tested it with the PSU that was originally in the rig for nearly a year, 600w Gamdias KRATOS M1-600B

Honestly only really looked at techpower up when looking for the vbios is there another trustworthy source?