Question GPU Fan / Temperature Odd Behavior

81h2h81

Reputable
Mar 28, 2016
There has been a recent change in how my GPU handles things and I can't quite figure out what has caused said change. I have not used this PC for much at all. One game early in 2019, then late last year, started another for maybe an hour a day via the Steam launcher.

One day it was behaving fine, but the next day and ever since, after a couple of minutes the fan revs up to 100 percent, then back down, then to 100 percent, then back down again. This also happens in another that I just started earlier this week. These are both strategy games so should not be horribly GPU intensive unless they are doing something wrong. Both games through Steam. Another strategy game through Blizzard launcher, no issue.

Card is a RTX 2080. Most of the time, I output to an older monitor via a DisplayPort to DVI cable. Not sure this is relevant, but around the time the issue started appearing, I did replace the cable because the first one stopped working. I was changing desks and in moving the PC forgot to unplug the wire, only moved it an inch but it was enough to damage the connectors. It's the same cable as before though, same brand/mfg.

When I game, I output to my TV via HDMI cable, and have Win 10 shift screens with the Win + P combo. Resolution jumps up to 4K, in HDR, but I hadn't experienced this issue before whether on a full playthrough of another game, testing various games here and there for an hour or two with settings cranked up (newer ones at that), and also months of playing one of the exact games that is now doing this.

GPU temps are in 30s when idle, around 35 when I switch to the TV, no difference in HDR, at most I've seen 38 before jumping into a game.

Can barely hear any fans before 75 degrees, then it's full blast. Even at 74, I hear only a whisper coming from the GPU, then a freight train a second later. I have never tinkered with fan controls in Afterburner, BIOS/CMOS, anything. Except that a couple of nights ago, I briefly installed Afterburner to see if I could at least sustain the fans for more than 2 seconds (to check against hardware issues there), and they'll stay on as long as I want. I guess they're just doing their job.

Dust does not seem to be a factor. It's old enough for me to know this is not normal for it, but new and unused enough for me to know that this isn't just age. There was a Win10 update that week. And I've been wondering if something else is hogging GPU in the background. If it were one game, I could just assume the game were deciding to render itself twice, or Windows in the background, or still rendering itself when minimized, etc. But again, this started happening with a game I had been playing for months (Age of Empires II: DE). Oh, left out one game this PC has run without issue, or did back before this behavior: It ran Modern Warfare on HDR, full settings, 12 hours at a time, without the GPU fan doing this.

Not too worried about the temperatures in and of themselves. More worried about the change in behavior, and the on/off on/off is very distracting. Also not sure if the 0 to 100 is by design.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also tried to update drivers. Made no difference. Cannot recall if there was an update around that point in time.