[SOLVED] Gpu fan won't spin above 196rpm with load

Jokuhemmo33

Reputable
Jul 9, 2016
Even when my gpu is under load, the fan won't spin faster than 196rpm, which causes the temperatures to rocket to almost 100 celsius. Setting the fan speed to 100% in msi afterburner doesn't help either. What do i do?

gpu: evga gtx 1060 3gb

Solution
I have never seen a system where the MOBO has any way to control the fan on a GRAPHICS CARD. Control of the card's fans normally is done by the card itself in an automatic system similar to mobo control of its case fans. Usually you use the Graphics Card's driver and configuration utilities to observe the card's fan speed and make your own adjustments if you don't like what it is doing.

I really wonder how you know the speed of the fan on the graphics card. Normaly the BIOS does not have any way to see that. If you are using some third-party software tools for this, it MAY be telling you false info. Use the graphics card's own utility tools to check the card fan's speed.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have never seen a system where the MOBO has any way to control the fan on a GRAPHICS CARD. Control of the card's fans normally is done by the card itself in an automatic system similar to mobo control of its case fans. Usually you use the Graphics Card's driver and configuration utilities to observe the card's fan speed and make your own adjustments if you don't like what it is doing.

I really wonder how you know the speed of the fan on the graphics card. Normaly the BIOS does not have any way to see that. If you are using some third-party software tools for this, it MAY be telling you false info. Use the graphics card's own utility tools to check the card fan's speed.

Solution