[SOLVED] GPU fan won't stop spinning ?

mindsmack51883

Prominent
Apr 29, 2021
About a month ago, I asked you guys for advice on buying a cheap GPU. I ended up going with a used HD 7750 to put in my old Optiplex 760. I've been doing one small upgrade after another since then. A new monitor, some Steam games, an office chair. Etc, etc, etc. As a web browsing/low end gaming set up, I love it.

Yesterday, I made a couple minor changes. I put a new power strip/surge protector in my office, and while straightening out all the cables, I opened up the PC, blew some of the dust out, and gently went over it with a toothbrush. When I turned it back on, everything ran well.

Fifteen hours later, I was reading something online and my computer suddenly sounded like it was about to take off into orbit. I quickly popped the side off, took a look inside, and the GPU fan (all the fans, I suppose) were spinning like crazy. An hour later, it's still doing it. So I checked the temps using Speccy, and everything's in the 35-40 degree range right now. That's only strange to me, because I've known this GPU to run between 28 and 33 degrees idle, and now it's 38 to 42.

What's my next step? Mess around with the AMD software (which I've barely ever touched, by the way)? Maybe take the GPU out, clean it better than before, and put it back?

This might not sound like a huge loss, but it's the first GPU I've owned. If it's going to start me off on this new interest in PCs (I've learned a lot just this month), I'd rather not have it leave a poor taste in my mouth so quickly. I was hoping to get a year or two out of this thing -- not a month.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
With the decade I've had, I'm sometimes impressed that I'm still working. Heh. I don't want to give up on this thing. It easily plays any pre-2014 game that I try and most newer retro-style games. So I've been trying get big budget games on Xbox and classic/indie games on Steam. That was the plan, anyway.

Okay. As someone new to this, I have a lot of questions. Bear with me..

If I refresh the thermal paste, I'll have to take off the shroud or whatever, right? I haven't done that yet. Is there anything that should be particularly careful about?

No, I didn't. Well, it may be an inch or two closer to the wall than before. Would that be a big enough difference to effect temperatures? The cable wires are pretty neat.

Oh...
May 7, 2021
did you relocate the pc itself ?? maybe from oneside of the room to the other or from one shelf or another ? if their has been a change in the ambient environment (warmer than usual) this could also cause the gpu fans to go into overdrive. i moved a pc from the bottom shelf of a bookcase to the desktop and just the change alone was almost a 5 degree difference . how are all your cables and wires on the inside of the pc ? everything nice and neat ? do they allow for proper airflow ? nothing obstructing exhaust / intake points? lots of open space around the gpu ? and the cpu for that matter. if your all good there i would check the thermal paste on the gpu itself . i have also known the voltage output to change on the psu when adding or removing devices that are plugged into a surge strip. i try to dedicate one recepticle and 1 surge strip for just my pc and monitor.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
To be fair, the first HD7750's were released in 2012... It's possibly over 9 years old. I wonder when (if at all) the thermal paste has had a refresh.. Either way, I'm pretty impressed it still works.
Agreed. Cleaning it out has probably dislodged something. You will need to remove the GPU cooler, refresh the thermal pads on the VRAM etc and apply new thermal paste to the GPU. It's a simple enough process and you can use pretty much any type of replacement GPU thermal pads. Just be careful not to lose any of the teeny, tiny screws.

mindsmack51883

Prominent
Apr 29, 2021
With the decade I've had, I'm sometimes impressed that I'm still working. Heh. I don't want to give up on this thing. It easily plays any pre-2014 game that I try and most newer retro-style games. So I've been trying get big budget games on Xbox and classic/indie games on Steam. That was the plan, anyway.

I wonder when (if at all) the thermal paste has had a refresh

If I refresh the thermal paste, I'll have to take off the shroud or whatever, right? I haven't done that yet. Is there anything that should be particularly careful about?

did you relocate the pc itself ??

No, I didn't. Well, it may be an inch or two closer to the wall than before. Would that be a big enough difference to effect temperatures? The cable wires are pretty neat.

i have also known the voltage output to change on the psu when adding or removing devices that are plugged into a surge strip

Oh, man. I hate to read that. I originally had several power strips going at all times. That's why I did the research and spent the money to get this 12-outlet surge protector.

refresh the thermal pads on the VRAM

I've seen multiple videos on refreshing the thermal paste, but I've never seen anyone refresh the thermal pads. That wouldn't be difficult for a beginner? Do you have a clear step-by-step video?

Other questions..

When I turned my PC on today, the GPU temperature was 29 degrees and the fan was already spinning. Is this normal behavior for a GPU of that era? Should it spin, even at low levels, all the time?

At 29-35 degree temps, it seems to be bouncing between the Level 1 idle performance and the Level 2 performance. Even when it was running smooth last month, I think it was going up to Level 2 around 35 degrees. Is that normal? I think I've read some people say that their GPU and fans kick into high gear around 60 degrees.

If I order the thermal paste online today, will it be safe to use this card (constantly spinning and hovering in the 30 to 40 degree range) for the next week or so while waiting for the paste to arrive?

May 7, 2021

Oh, man. I hate to read that. I originally had several power strips going at all times. That's why I did the research and spent the money to get this 12-outlet surge protector.

I've seen multiple videos on refreshing the thermal paste, but I've never seen anyone refresh the thermal pads. That wouldn't be difficult for a beginner? Do you have a clear step-by-step video?

Other questions..

When I turned my PC on today, the GPU temperature was 29 degrees and the fan was already spinning. Is this normal behavior for a GPU of that era? Should it spin, even at low levels, all the time?

At 29-35 degree temps, it seems to be bouncing between the Level 1 idle performance and the Level 2 performance. Even when it was running smooth last month, I think it was going up to Level 2 around 35 degrees. Is that normal? I think I've read some people say that their GPU and fans kick into high gear around 60 degrees.

If I order the thermal paste online today, will it be safe to use this card (constantly spinning and hovering in the 30 to 40 degree range) for the next week or so while waiting for the paste to arrive?

the gpu fan should always spin , and you should feel so lucky i have a nvidia tesla c2050 3gb gddr5 not only is it a power monster the normal operating temp is around 74-83 c . this particular card wasnt really designed for a standard desktop . as far as the few inches are concerned ,,, no i doubt very seriously that would cause a dramatic difference in your temps. unless the intakes/exhausts were blocked . and the expensive power strip is a good thing but i would still be cautious of plugged in devices on the same strip that may demand any kinda of power or load whether it be a few seconds or a sustained call for juice. of course i am just a bit more cautious than most , i had 2 systems become toast due to power strips and surge issues .

Solution

mindsmack51883

Prominent
Apr 29, 2021
Not every card supports 0rpm fan modes. Low end ones usually don't

Well.. I'm glad to know that now. Lol.

In that case, I guess the only thing to worry about is the loud noise that my computer made last night. Maybe cleaning it did dislodge something. Or maybe plugging into the new surge protector caused an issue. Or maybe me simply blowing the dust around had a negative effect on the fans. I just know that it was the loudest I've heard this computer in a long time -- and for no discernible reason. So it spooked me a little.

Earlier today, I opened it up outside, and went crazy with compressed air. Right now, the fan's spinning very quietly and the temp's staying around 35 degrees. I guess everything's alright.

If the fans don't go crazy again like they did last night, should I still take the GPU apart and apply thermal paste?

i have a nvidia tesla c2050 3gb gddr5 not only is it a power monster the normal operating temp is around 74-83 c

Oh, wow. That sounds great.. and a little worrisome.