Sep 16, 2020
Hi!
I have an ASUS Dual RX580 4gb that is super loud! The only time they slow down is when the computer is in sleep mode or off!

I tried MSI afterburner to turn the fans down but it doesn’t do anything. The GPU is 32° and the fans are full blast!

I heard that AMD software overrides MSI so I tried in there....nothing..... I deleted the AMD Radeon software and used DDU to clean out the old drivers and reinstall fresh without the settings software to see if afterburner would work....still no luck.

I’ve tried ASUS GPU tweak 2 and that does nothing to the fan speed either.

are there any other ideas?

Solution
so i tried the flash and it said that version of bios is already installed.... :(

i wonder if there's something physically been amended on it to make it run full speed

It may be something as simple as the 3 pin fan cable not being pushed all the way in on the card.

You're going to have to take it out and physically inspect it.

Not familiar with the exact card model but the fans just plug into a 3 pin header somewhere on the GPU.

It should be easily accessible as the asus cards are designed to have accessible fan replacement.
Sep 16, 2020
Bios seems to be normal. What do you see in the msi afterburner? Are you using 20.8.3?
It’s the latest version. It says the fans are at 40%. I can increase the fans all the way up and press apnothing happens, I can slide them all the way down and nothing happens.
I create my own fan curve and nothing happens.
I tried ASUS GPU Tweak 2 too and it says the same

Bizarre, the asus dual has zero rpm under 55c.

Those fans shouldn't even be running unless gaming.

Can only think the bios may have been altered in some way. Did you have a different gpu before this one? Maybe remnant s of old drivers or custom fan profile settings??

What if you boot the pc to bios and let it sit there for a while?
Do the fans still run full speed in bios?

Sep 16, 2020
That gpuz grab is showing fan speed 0% and then below 2344 rpm.

Christ, I'm not surprised that's driving you nuts.

This is very weird, wondering if there's a physical short somewhere on the fan cable or fan motor itself.
The only time I’ve heard the fans slow down is when the laptop hasn’t been touched and locks itself. The minute I touch it though, they kick back in

Sep 16, 2020
Bizarre, the asus dual has zero rpm under 55c.

Those fans shouldn't even be running unless gaming.

Can only think the bios may have been altered in some way. Did you have a different gpu before this one? Maybe remnant s of old drivers or custom fan profile settings??

What if you boot the pc to bios and let it sit there for a while?
Do the fans still run full speed in bios?
If I sit in bios, the fans still go full speed

If I sit in bios, the fans still go full speed

You just mentioned laptop??

Was that a typo??

Fans are quick swap I think, held by a couple screws.
I'd get down dirty and unscrew them and check the wiring.

Failing that I'd say either the fans are faulty or the bios has been altered to run full speed.

If they're running full speed in bios then software/drivers are nothing to do with it.

Sep 16, 2020
You just mentioned laptop??

Was that a typo??

Fans are quick swap I think, held by a couple screws.
I'd get down dirty and unscrew them and check the wiring.

Failing that I'd say either the fans are faulty or the bios has been altered to run full speed.

If they're running full speed in bios then software/drivers are nothing to do with it.
Is there something I can do to check if the bios has been altered and fix it if it has?

I don’t know if I’d be comfortable unscrewing the gpu, so I’d prefer it to be a last resort kinda thing

sorry, yep laptop was a typo. I was on my laptop while I was replying here :)

poorbugger

Distinguished
Reactions: NorthernEar
Is it easy to get wrong?

You can't really do anything wrong.

Its the correct bios he's listed and you would flash with this tool from within windows.

About the only thing that can go wrong really is a power outage in the middle of flashing.

Use the tools backup option first to backup the current bios for safety then flash the one you've downloaded.

Sep 16, 2020

Its the correct bios he's listed and you would flash with this tool from within windows.

About the only thing that can go wrong really is a power outage in the middle of flashing.

Use the tools backup option first to backup the current bios for safety then flash the one you've downloaded.
Ok, I will give it a go. If it’s worked and that’s what was causing the fans to behave like they have, will they automatically slow down?

thanks for your help so far too both of you.

Sep 16, 2020

so i tried the flash and it said that version of bios is already installed.... :(

i wonder if there's something physically been amended on it to make it run full speed

It may be something as simple as the 3 pin fan cable not being pushed all the way in on the card.

Not familiar with the exact card model but the fans just plug into a 3 pin header somewhere on the GPU.

It should be easily accessible as the asus cards are designed to have accessible fan replacement.

Solution
The fans have a 4 pin cable each and then there's a splitter cable to plug them in to gpu itself.

2pcs-RX580-570-470-graphics-card-fan-for-ASUS-DUAL-RX580-4G-8g-ROG-Strix-RX570-3_1200x1200.jpg

You need to check all 3 connections.
It shouldn't be that difficult at all.

Sep 16, 2020

I got it out, wasn’t even able to take the shroud off. No obvious screws anywhere and there weren’t any videos on YT of people taking the shroud off. I can see the connectors but can’t get to them

EDIT: figured it out. Clip on shroud. All connectors look fine. I’ll just put it back

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS