Question GPU fans are spinning above their maximum speed ?

EvilScotsman

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
Palit Gaming Pro RTX 3070.

GPU Fans go above max. 3600RPM is the max but they reach 4200. They do this automatically anytime temperatures reach 74c.

Is this fixable?
Also, why is it happening? --> GPU was bought used, is it possible someone tweaked the BIOS ?

Please don't recommend that I just return it. Looking for insights into the problem. If this is not normal behaviour and indicates last owner tweaked the card somehow, then I will return it.

Last edited:

EvilScotsman

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014

First of all. Thank you, I hadn't realised that GPU BIOS was a thing you could update. My temps and performance have improved.

Unfortunately, this issue persists. As soon as that 74c mark is reached, fans go full jet engine mode.

They have 2 BIOS options, BIOS update utility (including BIOS file) - which I downloaded.
And Resizable BAR BIOS, which is a larger file (20mb vs 3mb). I didn't download this as I don't use resizable bar. However, the date on it is a year newer than the file I downloaded. I'm confused as to why they have 2 BIOS options. I don't have resizable bar enabled but should I try downloading this anyway?