[SOLVED] GPU fans are working like crazy

spjuver

Honorable
Jun 9, 2016
I had my RTX2080ti blower edition for like 2-3 years now and it's always been fairly quiet while rendering. In the last weeks, the fans are working like crazy on the maximum capacity. My computer is 6 years old.

My computer is working fine, but I'm curious why my card is working so hard now while it was quiet for such a long time. Should I check something or prepare for its end-of-life cycle?

Win10 latest build
Intel i7 6800k 3.40Ghz 6 core
ASUS x99-A II
Memory 64GB
Graphic cards RTX2080Ti and GTX1070
PSU 750W Corsair
Drives, many with enough space

The system is recently cleaned.

Last edited:
Solution
As previously stated this sounds like it's a dust/overheating issue. Have you tried using a can of compressed air to clear the fins and the fans? There might be a significant build-up of dust between the fins making the heat transfer very poor.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that the PSU is a prime suspect.

If the PSU is 2 - 3 years old with heavy use for rendering, etc. the PSU may indeed be nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life).

You may start seeing more system errors if the PSU is reaching a point where its' ability to meet power demands wanes.

First thing to do is to ensure that you have a full set up backups proven to be recoverable and readable.

Second, use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (use both but only one at a time) to observe system performance. Especially to learn what is happening when the fans go max.

What resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it (or know someone who does) then you can test the PSU to some extent.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test pe se because the PSU is not under load. However any voltages out of tolerance are a warning of potential problems.

Reactions: spjuver

CmdData

Commendable
Jun 14, 2021
As previously stated this sounds like it's a dust/overheating issue. Have you tried using a can of compressed air to clear the fins and the fans? There might be a significant build-up of dust between the fins making the heat transfer very poor.

Reactions: spjuver
Solution

spjuver

Honorable
Jun 9, 2016

Just ordered computer cleaning kit so end of the week will try to dust it off properly.

CmdData

Commendable
Jun 14, 2021
My case fans went broken and I think the problem started there. I have new fans now and but my GPU is still working at its peak.
Have you tried running your PC without a side panel? Your GPU might not be getting enough airflow regardless of dust buildup. If you can/have it, check your GPU fan curves and see if for some reason it's been configured to ramp up very early on.