gpu fans auto or manual ?

a_a_mansour

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
hi all
i got a new gtx 1070 ti the fans on auto settings will start working when temp reaches 62c and it will spin at 20% for a start my idle temp is 40c
so if i want my card to live for a long time is it better to increase fan speed for better temps and also let it work under 62c or just leaves it at auto ?
also sometimes when not on full load the temp will be near 60c it will rise by time to reach 62 then fans start working for a minute or so till temps go down then stop and it keep going on like this
so is this on and off cycle bad for fans or not ?

Solution
Auto settings are fine. Especially if you are not going to overclock the card. If you overclock the card, you will need to manually adjust the fan curve as the increased frequency and voltage increases heat. The card is designed by the manufacturer to run at stock settings on auto.

Yes, it is normal for the fans to kick on when temps increase, it will not impact the longevity of the card.
Auto settings are fine. Especially if you are not going to overclock the card. If you overclock the card, you will need to manually adjust the fan curve as the increased frequency and voltage increases heat. The card is designed by the manufacturer to run at stock settings on auto.

Yes, it is normal for the fans to kick on when temps increase, it will not impact the longevity of the card.

Solution

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
I never run on auto the auto profiles are always garbage. 40c is very high idle. I'll post a photo of my curve later if you want an idea. I have a rx480, but it should work fine still and you can tweak it. I rarely have my temps clear the 50s even under heavy load gaming for hours.

I think running a fan say 15% higher but dropping temps from say 62 to 53 would be more likely to increase life

It sounds like your gpu is using one those quiet features. It keeps fans super low until it gets pretty warm (too warm for me, but technically safe) and then cools. This is great if you want it to be lower noise, personally I don't care about noise at all because I'm not running a library with my GAMING system. I'm actually playing games and making noise that mask everything.