Question GPU Fans Blow the wrong way for my case

joegoersch

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
I had my computer nicely set up Ryzen 2400G intake fan on the bottom, exhaust at the top, AIO blowing out the back. Then I bought a GPU (MSI RX 470 8gb). The problem is the fans on the GPU are separated from the top case fan by only a few millimeters. The GPU fans blow down, so it seemed to make no sense for the case fan right next to it to be blowing the opposite direction just to make a vacuum in the middle. But if I reverse the top case fan, then the top will become intake, not exhaust. I wonder if there's a better solution ?

Thoughts ?picture of build

joegoersch

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Swap the fan around, i'd be tempted to leave them both as inputs, and let the GPU and PSU drag air out, you'll need a filter on the top intake.
That's what I was planning, but everything I've read indicates exhaust should be on top of case as heat rises... Oh well I guess with ITX build can't have everything ideal...

BTW..AIO does blow out the back, is that what you meant? GPU fan just blows down over the 570 into the case ..

That's what I was planning, but everything I've read indicates exhaust should be on top of case as heat rises... Oh well I guess with ITX build can't have everything ideal...

BTW..AIO does blow out the back, is that what you meant? GPU fan just blows down over the 570 into the case ..
Bottom in, top in, gpu uses air from top fan and dumps some heat into the case and some heat out of the back of the case, psu sucks air out, AIO sucks air out. That'll probably be slightly positive pressure, I'd be happy with that.

That's what I was planning, but everything I've read indicates exhaust should be on top of case as heat rises...

That's a frequent misconception. The air, whether hot or cold, goes where the fans blow it. It's like a feather in a wind tunnel, only when the wind stops does gravity gently pull the feather to the ground. When you blow out your birthday candles, does the warm air from your breath immediatly rise, or does it go toward the flame of the candle?

joegoersch

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Grounded? That would not prevent short.
AIO radiator should be painted. But, if paint gets scratched and exposed metal from radiator touches contacts on pcb of graphics card, then - puff and your gpu is dead.
gotcha! I will place a piece of rubber inner tube between the two to ensure electrical insulation. Thank you!

That's a frequent misconception. The air, whether hot or cold, goes where the fans blow it. It's like a feather in a wind tunnel, only when the wind stops does gravity gently pull the feather to the ground. When you blow out your birthday candles, does the warm air from your breath immediatly rise, or does it go toward the flame of the candle?
Thank all that is everywhere than someone else actually gets this. The speed of warm air rising is inconsequential next to a fan directing air. (unless you start using chimneys)

joegoersch

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Thank all that is everywhere than someone else actually gets this. The speed of warm air rising is inconsequential next to a fan directing air. (unless you start using chimneys)
Thanks. Makes me feel better ! Although I have flown a 2-33 and stayed in the air for hours circling on columns of warm air...https://goo.gl/images/Fa5Nsg

joegoersch

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Grounded? That would not prevent short.
AIO radiator should be painted. But, if paint gets scratched and exposed metal from radiator touches contacts on pcb of graphics card, then - puff and your gpu is dead.
SkyNetRising-A THOUSAND THANK YOU'S !!! I GOT HOME AND LOOKED--I WAS ONLY MICRONS FROM "POOF !!!". THANK YOU SO MUCH !!! APPRECIATE YOUR HELP AND GOOD EYE !!!

RUBBER INNER TUBE NOW SHIELDING
ANOTHER VIEW