[SOLVED] GPU fans don’t spin, resulting in overheating ?

Jul 30, 2022
I had checked msi afterburner and it was all the way up to 96celsius…

Fans spin at boot but when under load they fail to spin.

Gpu is around 4years old, msi armor 1060 6gb

Not sure if its related but whenever I turn off my pc on the power supply or plug it out of electric pc doesnt boot up but all the fans spin in the pc. So everytime i have to reset cmos battery to get it to boot.

Is this a faulty gpu?

I had checked msi afterburner and it was all the way up to 96celsius…

Fans spin at boot but when under load they fail to spin.

Gpu is around 4years old, msi armor 1060 6gb

Not sure if its related but whenever I turn off my pc on the power supply or plug it out of electric pc doesnt boot up but all the fans spin in the pc. So everytime i have to reset cmos battery to get it to boot.

Is this a faulty gpu?
did the fans spin if you set it manually on afterburner?

Reactions: r0bida

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most gpus have an eco switch. It's either a manual switch (sometimes eco, standard, performance) or a software switch. Basically the fans will come on at boot, but then shut off until the gpu hits @ 65°C. Then they should ramp up to 60 or 70% for long enough to bring the gpu below @ 62°C. Then shut off again.

Manually shifting fan speeds may not do anything if that switch is active in eco mode. Might require shifting to standard or performance modes (if applicable) to get it out of its funk.

You have a corrupted cmos. Windows somewhere has either a date code or driver version conflict. When you reset cmos, it forces the bios to go find all your components and verify them during post. It also loads up drivers from Windows/drivers folder. Sometimes, when using the pc with Windows, some software is run through the ram and contains a different date code or driver version than what's stored in the folder. When you shut your windows down, that new/conflict is saved from ram to cmos. When rebooting, you'll get an error in POST and no boot.

I'd suggest you thoroughly clean out the pc, all temp, junk files etc. Ccleaner is good for that. I'd also make sure windows is fully updated, as is the bios and any motherboard chipset drivers.

Jul 30, 2022
Most gpus have an eco switch. It's either a manual switch (sometimes eco, standard, performance) or a software switch. Basically the fans will come on at boot, but then shut off until the gpu hits @ 65°C. Then they should ramp up to 60 or 70% for long enough to bring the gpu below @ 62°C. Then shut off again.

Manually shifting fan speeds may not do anything if that switch is active in eco mode. Might require shifting to standard or performance modes (if applicable) to get it out of its funk.

You have a corrupted cmos. Windows somewhere has either a date code or driver version conflict. When you reset cmos, it forces the bios to go find all your components and verify them during post. It also loads up drivers from Windows/drivers folder. Sometimes, when using the pc with Windows, some software is run through the ram and contains a different date code or driver version than what's stored in the folder. When you shut your windows down, that new/conflict is saved from ram to cmos. When rebooting, you'll get an error in POST and no boot.

I'd suggest you thoroughly clean out the pc, all temp, junk files etc. Ccleaner is good for that. I'd also make sure windows is fully updated, as is the bios and any motherboard chipset drivers.
How can I manually set modes on gpu?

About the CMOS, I wish you were right brother as this is getting so annoying because I can’t find out the reason. I have a brand new motherboard and also bought a brand new cmos battery to switch it out but still to no avail. I also formatted completely after the new motherboard. NOTHING works and I wish you would have suggested something I haven’t tried yet ;(

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:
Solution

_ThunderClap_

Commendable
Oct 1, 2021
I donot think u can order from alibaba cause they are an outlet for shopkeepers or for purchase in mass. U should first at ur local websites and if u find nothing then go to aliexpress

You never mentioned the time this issue started occuring. What happened? Did they stop spining after a windows or driver reinstall or any change software or hardware u made recently caused them to stop?

Jul 30, 2022
no hardware switch I can see on card, you can use afterburner to set a minimum fan speed, and then set it to only turn on/off if temps within a 5c range (I forget words)

try flashing bios to F15c and see if its just the current bios.
https://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/121/tech_qflash.htm
I did it 3 days ago. not same board or bios.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-ELITE-V2-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
Thank you I will try and update in couple of hours

Jul 30, 2022
I donot think u can order from alibaba cause they are an outlet for shopkeepers or for purchase in mass. U should first at ur local websites and if u find nothing then go to aliexpress

You never mentioned the time this issue started occuring. What happened? Did they stop spining after a windows or driver reinstall or any change software or hardware u made recently caused them to stop?
Well not quite sure. It might have started when i switched motherboard and I didnt notice until now and I gamed inbetween and probably overheated my gpu like crazy.. I have a 360 aio aswell so I heard lots of fans spinning and I didnt bother to check temps for gpu . In short, I recently upgraded motherboard and cpu and cooler - beforehand everything worked and I was constantly checking temps cos im that guy.. Just so happens that I got carried away looking at cpu temps when I should have watched gpu temps aswell. When I updated my hardware I also changed thermal paste on gpu and put back everything 110%

Jul 30, 2022
what are specs of PC so we know what you have as well?
My system is:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
Cpu AIO: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Motherboard: B550 Aorus Elite v2 (Updated bios to match the cpu-F10)
PSU: EVGA Supernova GA 550W 80 Plus Gold - Modular
GPU: MSI Armor 1060 6gb
RAM: 4x 8gb Hyperx 3200mhz CL16

Colif

Win 11 Master
F10 adds basic support, but the newer ones since enhanced support for CPU. 3 of them make your system better.
I have a gigabyte X570 and updated 9 bios versions a few days ago, PC is quieter at startup, starts up 5 seconds faster and nvme seems cooler as well. I was on the basic bios that matched my 3600XT.

Jul 30, 2022
F10 adds basic support, but the newer ones since enhanced support for CPU. 3 of them make your system better.
I have a gigabyte X570 and updated 9 bios versions a few days ago, PC is quieter at startup, starts up 5 seconds faster and nvme seems cooler as well. I was on the basic bios that matched my 3600XT.
Got you, thought it was necessary to have same bios so its compatible with the power output and all. Thanks for clearing it up

Jul 30, 2022
They are all cumulative, F15c includes all the features of the previous bios. As long as you past F10 you okay.
Only need to update it, don't need to get all ones inbetween.

I updated bios and by the looks of it gpu is running fans when set in msi afterburner, and also when turning off power from outlet the pc boots up. Wow I really think you saved my mind from going <censored> and hopefully it stays fixed! Youre a legend and also all of yous that tried to help thank you ! Hopefully my gpu didnt catch any hard damages because ive been clueless for about a week :0 I really can’t say thank you enough ive lost a whole nights sleep because of this and now that its fixed i can finally rest and be calm.