Question GPU fans don't spin even though sensors show that they are spinning and fans work when tested with other power source.

Pablomarc

Honorable
Feb 13, 2017
I have a MSI GTX970 in a Window 11 desktop and my fans never spin. GPUz shows regular temp. and fan sensor readings. I've installed MSI software to manage it and tried every other app I could find that regulates fan speed but nothing works. I've also tested the fan in another GPU and it works perfectly. also there is no visible damage to the connector on the card or any other noticeable power issues. also the card will overheat and crash when a game is started. completely stumped, any help is appreciated!

tecmo34

Administrator
His statement comes from yours where you stated; "I've also tested the fan in another GPU and it works perfectly " so he was asking did you verify it was plugged back since it looks like you took it out.

What are your full system specs, make and models?

What is the difference in the other system that the "fan" on another GPU?

What made you take the GPU apart and test the fan? Have you tested the GPU in another system and do the fans work then?

Pablomarc

Honorable
Feb 13, 2017
I guess it's not too clear, I meant 'uh huh' as in 'yes', not 'uh, huh?' as in 'what?' I tested the fans in another GPU because I was trying to troubleshoot the problem withthe fans. Unfortunately I don't have another system to try it in. Here's my specs;
OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Home
Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model XPS 8700
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A14, 2019-05-31
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
BaseBoard Product 0KWVT8
BaseBoard Version A03
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 27.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 36.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 30.6 GB
Page File Space 4.75 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Display Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

again, any help is much appreciated!!

Pablomarc

Honorable
Feb 13, 2017
I'm not sure when it stopped because I haven't tried to play any games for a while and it doesn't matter which OS, I've tried Windows 10 and 11. I haven't tried in Linux but I will and report back.

InvalidError

Titan
If the fans are not spinning yet hardware monitoring still registers an RPM, then there may be something wrong with the GPU's fan control and monitoring, such as the RPM signal being shorted to the PWM one.

Have you tried swapping the fans from the working GPU to the problematic GPU? That would confirm whether the issue is only between your GPU and its original fans which would point toward a likely fan defect or with your GPU specifically.