Question GPU Fans don't work at the right time ?

GBDev

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016
Hello,

I own a Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1080 and recently I've noticed (especially after the GPU driver update 471.41 from Nvidia) My GPU fans don't work whilst I'm playing a game but when I'm Idling they work, which makes no sense at all.

I've tried to Switch On/Off the fans manually and control their Speed through the Gigabyte Xtreme Software, Aorus Software and MSI Afterburner and still no luck what so ever, So now When I'm Idling I Reach Temps of ~45C to ~55C and When I'm gaming I get get up to ~91C which is obviously horrible. I've Also had my thermal paste for the GPU replaced around 2 months ago but this is the first time I'm noticing this issue, It's been working fine. So How do I fix this issue?

Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte H170-Gaming-3
CPU: Intel I7-6700K
RAM: 16GB 3200Hz Corsair Dominator
GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1080
PSU: Cooler Master G750M ~ 6 years old ~ Perfect, Haven't got any issues with it since purchase, 750 Watts

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Try reinstalling the GPU driver update to determine if that fixes the problem.

If not, then try rolling back to the previous version to determine if the problem continues.

GBDev

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Try reinstalling the GPU driver update to determine if that fixes the problem.

If not, then try rolling back to the previous version to determine if the problem continues.

Updated the thread, Also I've already cleaned out my PC and do so on a regular basis

calebbest

Reputable
Jun 26, 2018
I had a similar issue with an EVGA GTX 1080 years back. Turns out the fan controller in it had died a few weeks after I received the unit. Could be latent static damage. There's a chance that something got zapped in the repaste that is progressively getting worse. Potentially check for conflicting software, but my suspicion would be hardware.

GBDev

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016
I had a similar issue with an EVGA GTX 1080 years back. Turns out the fan controller in it had died a few weeks after I received the unit. Could be latent static damage. There's a chance that something got zapped in the repaste that is progressively getting worse. Potentially check for conflicting software, but my suspicion would be hardware.
don't think its hardware because it works when i'm idling or just doing anything but gaming, when i open a game it barley works sometimes not at all

calebbest

Reputable
Jun 26, 2018
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not entirely clear on the specifics of the issue. Are you saying that the fans don't work at all under load? You say they work on idle, but not under load. Are they spinning on idle? Some cards stop the fans when idling. Do the fan speeds report in programs like Afterburner?

When you say you've tried to manually control the fan speed, do you mean that they won't rev up at all or do you mean they work until under load where they spin back down again?

GBDev

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not entirely clear on the specifics of the issue. Are you saying that the fans don't work at all under load? You say they work on idle, but not under load. Are they spinning on idle? Some cards stop the fans when idling. Do the fan speeds report in programs like Afterburner?

When you say you've tried to manually control the fan speed, do you mean that they won't rev up at all or do you mean they work until under load where they spin back down again?

1. The fans work underload for certain programs such as Visual Studio Code [Mostly Utility programs, not games even though I have the game driver installed, not the other]
  2. Yes, They spin on idle and under load from again, the point above. As I write this, it spins.
  3. Nope, no reports, it only shows on my GPU, when "Fan Stop" is LED Enabled, then its off and when its LED disabled then its on.
  4. I mean they won't rev up, neither would they work underload whenever I have games open

TRENDING THREADS