Question GPU Fans Erratic when in game

Oct 31, 2019
Within the last week or so my GPU has been acting pretty strange. In game, after playing for some time (anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes or so), my GPU fans will go from low power to high power in bursts. I have only seen this happen while playing games. This issue is not specific to any one game and I have recently updated drivers via Radeon Settings. Also, I have applied an overclock, however I've seen this happen without the overclock as well. I worry that my power supply is somehow the culprit, but to tell the truth I'm not really sure. Here are some screenshots of WattMan:
First green circle and red circle are in game, second green circle is after closing the game
As a side note (maybe related somehow?) my discord will randomly lose connection. I am using a pcie wifi card, which makes me wonder about my pcie drivers or bios version as well(?)

This is my build
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: randrews_vfs
Oct 31, 2019
Thank you for the quick reply!
I'm not sure why the fan is behaving that way - could be the current driver; have you set a fan curve?

But what I CAN tell you: the gpu was already thermal throttling before you applied the overclock.
Junction Temp peaks of 116C is too hot.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3437-amd-radeon-vii-review-not-ready-for-launch
[Start on the section, Radeon VII Graphite Pad vs. Thermal Paste Benchmark.]
Ia actually just got done installing a new power supply, Corsair RM850x, and things already seem to be working much, much better with far more stable power to the GPU. I agree that the card is hot, I have considered selling it and moving to a 5700xt or even water cooling it (maybe/probably not worth it). But, looking at WattMan with the new PSU looks really promising already, having only played for 5 minutes or so. Here's a picture:
So I think for now I will hope that things are sorted out with the new PSU, but I will definately consider the article you posted.

Thanks again!