[SOLVED] GPU fans full 100% refusing attempts at controlling them

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2021
Heya, so I have a situation that stumped several people, even taking PC to a repair technician he didn't manage to figure out what's wrong.

PC Hardware:
  • GPU - EVGA GTX960 2GB Gainward Phantom
  • MB - MSI B550 Gaming Edge Wifi
  • CPU - Ryzen 5 5600x
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance PRO 3200 16GB

After I installed my old GPU on the new desktop, the GPU fans went crazy in short:
  • GPU Fans at jet engine speed super loud as soon windows loads in.
  • Fan RPM is always showing up as 0.
  • Fans are unresponsive to any software to control (afterburner, xprecision, etc,etc).
  • Attempts to reinstall, either by nvidia software or DDU on safe-mode did not result in any change.
Here's the more intriguing part where their speed is actually okay:
  • Fans will be on normal speed on Safe Mode.
  • Fans will be on normal speed while on BIOS.
  • Fans will be on normal speeds if I go to nvidia experience and reinstall the driver and go back to full speed as soon driver installs, tried installing an older driver can get the fans to quiet down until a restart (install requires it anyway).
  • When using DDU to do a clean, after it restarts the fans will be quiet until windows automatically installs the Nvidia Control Panel, at that moment they go crazy again.

There is no software changing fan speed, tried with them installed and uninstalled, only jinxing with the drivers shown some results but nothing did stick yet.

I can only assume that hardware-wise the fans are okay because they do quiet down, seems when a driver shows up they fully max out and stay like that.

I really need help on this one, trying to focus while working remote is quite the challenge attm :sad:

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Had the same issue with a 1070. Long story short, the card was dead in the sense that i assumed either the fan controller or the fan monitor chip on the PCB was gone, making the fans spins 100% no matter what. Only way to """fix""" this was to completely remove Nvidia drivers. Managed to still sold that card luckily through a Finnish like eBay website (my gf is Finnish and i planned to give her the card to use on her rig). MIND YOU informing the buyer of the issue. He didn't care tho lol.

May 31, 2021
Had the same issue with a 1070. Long story short, the card was dead in the sense that i assumed either the fan controller or the fan monitor chip on the PCB was gone, making the fans spins 100% no matter what. Only way to """fix""" this was to completely remove Nvidia drivers. Managed to still sold that card luckily through a Finnish like eBay website (my gf is Finnish and i planned to give her the card to use on her rig). MIND YOU informing the buyer of the issue. He didn't care tho lol.
Oh FFFFFF

Considering that, any way to physically force the fans to go slower?

May 31, 2021
I managed to fix this, it must be some sort of first-ever issue because from all the search I did I never saw this mentioned.

So the issue was the order of the fans.

Ths evga gpu has 2 fans that you can remove slide type thing to clean and put back, when I cleaned I put them back they are exactly the same but on the opposite order, I switched them around now and it's back to normal, software rpm and control works again.

An issue that made no sense but glad it wasn't a bigger problem where the chips and such would be damaged.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Glad you fixed it. Maybe i had the same issue, who knows. I didn't bother open up my card so it could've been very well that. Oh well, made some good money off of it anyways

Reactions: MaxBacon
Status
Not open for further replies.