Question GPU fans going crazy at 80° C

Apr 4, 2020
Parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bstq4d

My GPU is from a fairly recent RMA with MSI. It's worked fine until a few days ago, with temps in the mid 70s. However, recently the GPU started hitting 80° C under load. When that happens, the fans will spin to max speed (3600rpm), regardless of what my custom fan curve says in afterburner.

I've already tried using Display Driver Uninstaller, along with rolling back drivers to an older version, changing my riser cable, and switching to EVGA Precision X1. Nothing seems to work.

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020
Parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bstq4d

My GPU is from a fairly recent RMA with MSI. It's worked fine until a few days ago, with temps in the mid 70s. However, recently the GPU started hitting 80° C under load. When that happens, the fans will spin to max speed (3600rpm), regardless of what my custom fan curve says in afterburner.

I've already tried using Display Driver Uninstaller, along with rolling back drivers to an older version, changing my riser cable, and switching to EVGA Precision X1. Nothing seems to work.
Did you notice any throttling or fps drops while they spin so fast ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I tried checking the gpu's product support page, but everything but the Overview tab is broken. I figured I could see if they had a Vbios update for fan malfunction, but nothing that can be done from there.
Gigabyte had problems with some of their 20 series cards doing that, and they released Vbios updates for it.

The behavior you're seeing is a sort of emergency cooling feature that kicks in when the card exceeds a certain threshold. It does override software settings.
Does it ramp down at all after it cools down or if you turn the game off? If it does not, then something is definitely wrong.

A couple other ideas I have:
A)Take the gpu out of the riser and plug it directly into the motherboard.
Any luck?

B)Try and improve your cooling situation - if possible.
How is the cooling currently set up? Take a picture of the inside of the chassis and post it through postimages.org or imgur.com.
Please remove the side panel to avoid reflections.