[SOLVED] GPU fans going full blast without high temperatures, and screen going black sometimes

Dec 27, 2020
Good morning,

I've been having a problem with my PC lately, at the beggining I started getting a black screen and GPU fans going full blast, the only way to get the PC back up and running was to turn off the switch on the back of the PSU; therefore, I started looking for some options and this is what I did:
1.- I took off the GPU and put it back (didn't make a difference)
2.-Changed PCIe connector
3.- tore down the GPU to clean the thermal paste and applied new one.
After doing this, I'm no longer getting a black screen, only the GPU fans going full blast, according to MSI afterburner the temperature of the GPU is 40 celcius: however, I got another SW that I use to stress the GPU called " GPU Z" and according to it, when the fans go full blast, the RPM is 0, which doesn't make sense, I've tried this too:
1.- Uninstalled NVIDIA drivers using DDU SW. (If I uninstall the NVIDIA driver the fans stopped going full blast, but as soon as I enable them the problem comes back)
2.-Uninstalled MSI after burner

I'm still getting this problem, and I've honestly run out of ideas,
this is my set up:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1660 TI OC
MB: AORUS B450
RAM: 8GB xpg (x2)
SSD 1TB KINGSTON

Could you please tell me what you think the problem might be? I'm starting to think that my gpu is diying.

Solution
Good morning,

I've been having a problem with my PC lately, at the beggining I started getting a black screen and GPU fans going full blast, the only way to get the PC back up and running was to turn off the switch on the back of the PSU; therefore, I started looking for some options and this is what I did:
After doing this, I'm no longer getting a black screen, only the GPU fans going full blast, according to MSI afterburner the temperature of the GPU is 40 celcius: however, I got another SW that I use to stress the GPU called " GPU Z" and according to it, when the fans...
Good morning,

After doing this, I'm no longer getting a black screen, only the GPU fans going full blast, according to MSI afterburner the temperature of the GPU is 40 celcius: however, I got another SW that I use to stress the GPU called " GPU Z" and according to it, when the fans go full blast, the RPM is 0, which doesn't make sense, I've tried this too:
1.- Uninstalled NVIDIA drivers using DDU SW. (If I uninstall the NVIDIA driver the fans stopped going full blast, but as soon as I enable them the problem comes back)

this is my set up:
SSD 1TB KINGSTON

Could you please tell me what you think the problem might be? I'm starting to think that my gpu is diying.
Try using this to control fan speed

Dec 27, 2020
Try using this to control fan speed
just tried it out, it didn't work, the fans are full blast now as I reply to your response but the SW says that the fans aren't spinning, if I change anything it stays the same.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Good morning,

this is my set up:
SSD 1TB KINGSTON

It may something to do with your BIOS setting. Have you messed with anything? If so maybe Remove the CMOS battery and reset your settings and see if that fixes it. I know some 1660;s have a blower option at the start that removes any and all dust to prevent buildup

Solution
Dec 27, 2020
It may something to do with your BIOS setting. Have you messed with anything? If so maybe Remove the CMOS battery and reset your settings and see if that fixes it. I know some 1660;s have a blower option at the start that removes any and all dust to prevent buildup
I did update the BIOS 4 months ago, that's the only change that i'd made. I reset the BIOS as you suggested and it fixed the problem, I'm not sure what happened, but I gottta say thank you, reseting the bios never went thru my mind.

Ferimer

Distinguished
I did update the BIOS 4 months ago, that's the only change that i'd made. I reset the BIOS as you suggested and it fixed the problem, I'm not sure what happened, but I gottta say thank you, reseting the bios never went thru my mind.
When you did the bios setting change my guess is that it adjusted the Fan controller speed within the BIOS setting to 100% at all times.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Morning, but it doesnt explain why I was getting a black screen, does it? besides I would've seen the issue as soon as I updated the BIOS, what do you think?
Things just happen. an update could have changed parts of the bios settings who knows. it just happens. If more things start to happen just post in the right category and people will do their best.

Reactions: white.a.drew