Question GPU Fans/Issues

Feb 26, 2023
Just put a new GPU in a new system build and when I play a game the game freezes. I'm not sure if its an issue with the game, GPU, or something else. I updated the drivers already, but I noticed my GPU fans don't spin. They spin when I first power the system on during POST, but then shut off. I have no idea if that's normal, or if the GPU could be overheating because the fans aren't working. Is there anyway I can test the GPU to see if its working properly or if its defective?

GIGABYTE Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 ATX Video Card GV-N306TGAMING OC-8GD REV 2.0 (LHR)

Edit: So I did see the fans turn on. But it seems that as soon as the fans turn on, the game freezes up.

Last edited:
Just put a new GPU in a new system build and when I play a game the game freezes. I'm not sure if its an issue with the game, GPU, or something else. I updated the drivers already, but I noticed my GPU fans don't spin. They spin when I first power the system on during POST, but then shut off. I have no idea if that's normal, or if the GPU could be overheating because the fans aren't working. Is there anyway I can test the GPU to see if its working properly or if its defective?

GIGABYTE Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 ATX Video Card GV-N306TGAMING OC-8GD REV 2.0 (LHR)

Edit: So I did see the fans turn on. But it seems that as soon as the fans turn on, the game freezes up.
Modern graphic cards can stop fans from turning up to certain temperatures (usually 40-50c) and further speed them up with temp raise. You should be able to adjust that and speed curve thru GPU's control center or external program program like MSI Afterburner.