[SOLVED] GPU fans keep ramping up and down with two monitors

rozga123

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Hey, so I had a 27inch 60hz display for some time now and recently got a another 27inch 144hz display to use as my primary monitor. I kept the 60hz one as my secondary because why not. The problem I'm having is that my gpu fans keep ramping up for a second or two then turning off, repeating this process every 10 seconds or so. This wasn't happening literally 1 day before, as of writing this. I don't know what to do cus it's driving me nuts. I provided the screenshots of the settings and fan curve I have been using for years, never having this problem. Any advice or solutions for this would be greatly appreciated. I have an ASUS Strix 1070 8gb. Also if it matters the main 144hz monitor is connected via display port, and 60hz one via DVI cables.
Also I just tried unplugging the secondary monitor and the fan loop stopped, and the temps stopped rising as well. I have no clue what's causing this.
View: https://imgur.com/a/9l2zmgA

Last edited:
Solution
Try adjusting your fan curve, you have your fans set so they don't turn on until it reaches 55.38 c, the fans probably kick on and the temp goes down under 55.38 and then warms up quickly back to 55.38. Try a gradual increase say from 30c starting from 10 percent fan speed and by the time you hit say 55c it will be at 40 percent speed. That way it can try to keep temps more even instead of going from fast to off and on again.
Try adjusting your fan curve, you have your fans set so they don't turn on until it reaches 55.38 c, the fans probably kick on and the temp goes down under 55.38 and then warms up quickly back to 55.38. Try a gradual increase say from 30c starting from 10 percent fan speed and by the time you hit say 55c it will be at 40 percent speed. That way it can try to keep temps more even instead of going from fast to off and on again.

Solution
Hey, so I had a 27inch 60hz display for some time now and recently got a another 27inch 144hz display to use as my primary monitor. I kept the 60hz one as my secondary because why not. The problem I'm having is that my gpu fans keep ramping up for a second or two then turning off, repeating this process every 10 seconds or so. This wasn't happening literally 1 day before, as of writing this. I don't know what to do cus it's driving me nuts. I provided the screenshots of the settings and fan curve I have been using for years, never having this problem. Any advice or solutions for this would be greatly appreciated. I have an ASUS Strix 1070 8gb. Also if it matters the main 144hz monitor is connected via display port, and 60hz one via DVI cables.
Also I just tried unplugging the secondary monitor and the fan loop stopped, and the temps stopped rising as well. I have no clue what's causing this.
View: https://imgur.com/a/9l2zmgA
Many GPUs have that common thing when 2 different refresh rate monitors and/or resolutions, are plugged in. The GPU works at higher clocks both for core and memory which leads to higher temps, which then leads to fans ramping up.

You tested yourself and when the second monitor was not plugged in, everything run fine. Do another test using both monitors at 60Hz. Tell us what happens.