GPU Fans making weird sound

Sep 28, 2018
Hello, I've a RX580 from GIGABYTE. If I play, for example Fortnite, my GPU is at normal temps (like 70 degrees). But when my GPU fans are spinning at like 2400 RPM it makes a weird sound like something is stuck in it. When it goes above like 2500 RPM it sounds normal again.

Is it something to worry about or is it normal?

Ralston18

Titan
Could be accoustics or resonance with respect to the fans' RPMs.

Are you able to provide more of a description of the sound beyond "weird". Or record and post the sound?

My thought would be to open the case and inspect everything.

Then play Fortnight with the case open. Determine if the sound, as you hear it, changes.

Sep 28, 2018

It’s like a buzzing sound.

It is a new build pc so I’ve checked everything a lot of times and everything is placed right.

Sep 28, 2018

Yeah it sounds like buzzing or something that vibrates in the GPU at a certain RPM. I’ll try to make a video so that you can hear what it sounds like.

Sep 28, 2018

I started Fortnite and at around 2500 RPM it made this sound. Also the temps were really high (like 78/80 degrees celsius)

Video: https://youtu.be/PCQyOrG5riE
At like 9 seconds you can hear the sound the best.

Ralston18

Titan
To my ears the sound appears to be resonance but there seems to be a "background" to it.

Almost harmonic. Perhaps two fans briefly harmonizing somewhere in the 2400 - 2500 rpm range.

Use a paper cone funnel to listen from different angles. May help you narrow down the source(s).

In the meantime, someone else may listen and recognize the sound.

Sep 28, 2018

Do you think it's something to worry about? Because I bought it like a month ago so I can send it back and get a new one.

Ralston18

Titan
Would think not.

What I would try is shutting down the computer, unplugging the power, opening the case, and gently checking and tightening the fan screws - just a little. With a new system very likely that something may be or has worked loose.

May stop or at least minimize the buzz. And look for cables that might be touching the fans. Look for debris (dust, paper scraps, bug shells, hair, etc.) in the fans. Might be off balance.

Look for anything that could vibrate or transmit vibrations.

You could also briefly unplug fans one at a time. (Do not do that with the power on.)

May discover that the buzz is entirely due to one fan.