[SOLVED] GPU fans max out in certain games / no manual control

Tybost

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
I'm having a really weird issue in certain games. Games like Squad (UE4) and War Selection (Glyph Engine?) increases my Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super GPU fans to max speed (Jet engine take off loud) after about a minute of having the game launched no matter what. When I exit those games to my desktop with all other programs closed; the fan doesn't scale down; and stays at maxed RPM unless I either put my computer in sleep mode / shut down and restart.

1. HW Monitor isn't showing my GPU RPM fan speeds and none of the fans listed (CPU, AUX) show any changes when I start a game. Am I crazy or isn't HW Monitor suppose to show your fan speed?
  2. Another thing to add is that whenever I open MSI Afterburner and try to manually set my fan speed. I lose control of my fans; as if I started up a game and maxes out (Jet engine again) with the only solution to sleep / restart.

What do you guy's think is going on? Motherboard issue? (I upgraded from 2017 BIOS to latest 2019 on Fatal1ty MOBO today; and it did nothing for me) Windows installation issue? I think I'm on a weird Windows 10 Education key or something and windows was already installed; I simply plopped my ram and GPU in (previous owner didn't say if they had this issue or not / unable to ask)

I'm not 100% certain if it's only the GPU fans maxing out or if it's the entire system; but the GPU pumps out the most air noticeably. Less demanding / older games ie. Contagion, Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop, World War II: Online all run as expected with no issues.

Backstory: I was handed down free upgrade parts to replace my i7 7700k, ASUS Z170-a motherboard, some extra corsair ram, and an extra 850 SSD (Full specifications listed at the bottom) / I still have access to my other tower with everything setup except for the GPU + RAM which all worked perfectly fine for me with my RTX 2070 Super.

I really want this to work out so I can upgrade my streaming rig. What the heck is wrong D:? Any idea's/solutions?

New System specifications:
CPU: Intel i7 8700k
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (Mixed) 32GB 3000mhz
SSD: Samsung 850 SSD
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Lite 120 Liquid Cooler
MOBO: Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6 (Latest BIOS / v4.20 10/28/2019)

Solution
What version of drivers are you using?

Do you know what GPU the last person used?

Have you uninstalled the drivers, used DDU to clean the files and reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers?

If all else fails have you tried a clean Windows 10 install?
What version of drivers are you using?

Do you know what GPU the last person used?

Have you uninstalled the drivers, used DDU to clean the files and reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers?

If all else fails have you tried a clean Windows 10 install?

Solution

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
so you only added RAM and GPU? didnt swap boards etc? you could try to reset windows, but maybe make sure all yoru drivers are up to date first, If you swapped more hardware youd probably be best to just do a full reinstall of windows.. could also maybe be malware, spyware etc..

Tybost

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Currently using latest NVIDIA Geforce 441.66 (12/10/2019) drivers for my RTX 2070 Super. I'm sure I did a fresh install (as in)> letting the software remove the previously installed drivers for me as it replaced it with the new one)

They were using a GTX 1060 6GB (which I own one that works thats laying around)

I have not; but I'll start doing it right now.

I haven't reinstalled Windows 10 yet (I have a M.2 1TB 970 Evo Plus on the way which I intend to install a fresh Windows 10 Pro on/around Wednesday 8th.

Tybost

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
@Gfost73 That's correct. MOBO already had the CPU, CPU AIO Cooler, 16GB Ram installed. All I did was mix in my GPU + RAM to the board. Ram sticks are all running at 3000mhz / and it doesn't seem to have any compatibility issues. + Previous owner didn't indicate there were any issues with the already installed components.

I also think reinstalling windows might be the solution.- But if anyone has any other idea's (BIOS related?) or anything else to add; i'd love to hear!

Reinstalling GPU drivers now. / Will edit this line::: EDIT: Reinstalling NVIDIA drivers didn't do the trick. Games rev it up to 100% and MSI Afterburner manual revs it to 100%. Forced to restart.

Will try refreshing current windows 10 and then the reinstall on wednesday if it doesnt work out.

Last edited:
If this was not a clean Windows install I would personally start there, wait for the 970 if you can. Using an old OS install with no idea how it was done or setup can easily cause issues.

Considering its an SSD you could do a Windows Restart, basically reinstall Windows 10 from inside 10, to see if it will fix the issues.

Tybost

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
So my issue is resolved.

I pulled out what I added to the new rig (RTX 2070 Super and 16GB Ram) and plugged back in the old 1060 6GB which I then regained control of the fans manually. Perhaps I didn't fit the GPU properly or something. Anyway- I plugged my 2070 super back in and still have control over my fans and in games. Although- I still need to plug in my mixed ram and M.2 tomorrow; I feel confident that this motherboard is still kick'n!