Question GPU Fans Maximum, Black Screen

jhbox13

Prominent
Jul 30, 2017
Over the few months my screens will randomly go black and my GPU fans go to max. Have to hard reset to get control back. This happens even if its just sitting with at desktop or with a browser open, seems like it is unrelated to GPU load.

I installed GPU-Z, as I thought that maybe the GPU was having heat issues. At the last blackscreen my temp was only 37c or so, but the clock jumped from 319 to over 1600 right before the crash.

Any ideas what I'm looking at here?

Specs:
CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor
MB: Gigabyte - GA-Z170-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
RAM: Mushkin - Blackline 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB G1 Gaming Video Card
SDD: Samsung - 960 EVO 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Power: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case: NZXT - H440 (Glossy White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Cooling: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler

THEearthISFLAT

Upstanding
Feb 16, 2019
honestly, it sounds like a PSU issue but looking at your equipment that shouldn't be the case. I would try a clean win10 install to rule out any possible software conflicts and then start replacing parts if the issue persists.

jhbox13

Prominent
Jul 30, 2017
honestly, it sounds like a PSU issue but looking at your equipment that shouldn't be the case. I would try a clean win10 install to rule out any possible software conflicts and then start replacing parts if the issue persists.
Yeah, when I did the research it sounded like power was the most likely culprit. My PSU is rated for over double my requirememnt, and I switched from my surge protector to the wall outlet with no change in the behavior.

Would a PC shop be able to test the PSU alone for issues if I brought it to them?