GPU fans not spinning after loading windows

Aug 30, 2018
So yesterday I moved some files from my SSD over to my HDD and then got off. Today I was gaming and the game was freezing. I saw my gpu was running at like 100% and taking 3gb of ram.
So i looked in my case and the fans were not spinning. I pulled the card out and put it back. It will spin on start up but once windows loads they will stop spinning. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. When I run EVGA precisionx I can force the fans to spin but I know that is not right.What could be causing the fan to only spin on startup or only when force to spin via software?

When you're sitting on your desktop or browsing the internet your fans won't spin because there's too little load on the GPU. That's normal ... every modern graphics card does that.
Check your temps while gaming and report back the temperatures you've got.

Aug 30, 2018

Yea I know that but when i am playing a game they dont spin. That is why the game i was playing kept freezing. When I play a game I know they should be spinning. its reaching 55c and they dont even turn on, thats not right

Aug 30, 2018

The fans are not spinning for the stress test.I looked up the stats for the GPU results and it did not list any only cpu and mb but i only selected GPU

Download HWinfo to view your temps. Also in games you can enable the OSD from the EVGA Precision X software.
That will show an overlay in every game you play. You can customize that overlay to show you GPU temperatures and fan speeds.

Aug 30, 2018

OSD? I have some temp readers but I know it is not working properly. The fans dont spin unless forced by software. Can I make them spin, yea but I shouldnt have to. EVGA does not have any technical support apparently.. as soon as i boot up msi afterburner they turn on. Same thing with precision X. I dont believe it is the graphics card thats the problem though

Aug 30, 2018

I just ran the game again and it got to 61c and they did not turn on

Well EVGA fans are really quiet... when they are at 100% you'll hear them, but at 50% they are inaudible. My GPU gets up to 78C in games and even at 70-80% fan speed I can barely hear them.
Your card runs much cooler so the fans don't even ramp up to much.
61C is pretty low for a graphics card, so the fan speed maybe under 50%.

OSD is on screen display... from msi after burner go to settings->monitoring and there you'll find this window.

1zckewy.png

Click on the parameter that you want to be diplayed in game and check the Show in On-Screen Display box. You should enable GPU temperature and Fan Speed(of the GPU) to be shown in OSD. Play a game and those parameters will be shown in the top left corner. The fans should ramp up.

I'm pretty sure your GPU is fine.