[SOLVED] GPU fans on my Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 go full speed and VERY loud on boot and the screen goes black.

Aug 6, 2019
It will sometimes boot all the way up and I was able to check temps, everything is where it should be so I am kind of lost. The specs are: corsair 570x case, z390 gaming edge AC, 32gb of G.skill trident Z ram, i7-8700k, h100i cooler, Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070, 5 ll-120 fans, cooler master 650w PSU. I have heard a faulty PSU may cause that but am not certain. could it be the GPU or PSU? Any help is appreciated

Solution
I would suspect the PSU.

650 watts may be a bit low for your system. Add up the component wattages and add 20%. What value do you get?

How many drives: SSD, HDD?

In addition, you can do some testing.

Remove the GPU. Try using the motherboard's built-in display port to connect the monitor. Caveat being that the motherboard supports onboard graphics. Determine if the problems diminish or stop without the GPU's added load.

How old is the overall system? Any recent cleaning and reseatings?

Ralston18

Titan
I would suspect the PSU.

650 watts may be a bit low for your system. Add up the component wattages and add 20%. What value do you get?

Remove the GPU. Try using the motherboard's built-in display port to connect the monitor. Caveat being that the motherboard supports onboard graphics. Determine if the problems diminish or stop without the GPU's added load.

Solution
Aug 6, 2019
I would suspect the PSU.

I built it about 6 months ago (I have had to RMA the the GPU twice in that time so only about 3 months use, I will never be buying gigabyte again). My value is about 500w without the 20% so it is pushing it but should be okay. I have one NVME EVO pro 512gb and one barracuda 3tb HDD. I went home for lunch and messed with the 6pin cable on the GPU and if I wiggled it during boot it all worked fine. I think the 6 pin may be bad. I will get one after work today and let you know if this was the issue!