Question GPU fans ramp up to 100 and black screen

Jan 21, 2021
So, recently I upgraded everything but my graphics card and every time I launch a game or a gpu intensive benchmark (specifically heaven benchmark) my screen goes black and the gpu fans ramp up to 100. Also noticed that my GPU usage is fluctuating a lot. Additionally I can hear whatever sound was playing before the crash, for a couple of seconds, after which I get the same noise you get on BSOD. Here is my list of specs followed by the things I tried to fix the problem.

1. Specs

• MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk mobo
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x16GB Vegeance LPX DDR4 RAM @ 2666MHz
  • Corsair RM650 ATX PSU
  • MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
  • WD BLUE 250GB SSD (Windows 10 Installed)
  • Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 500GB
  • Some WD HDD

2. Things I've tried
  • Changing the card driver 3 times (reverting to previous versions). I uninstalled the previous drivers using DDU and the AMD Cleanup Utility
  • Made sure all my connections where intact (PSU cables, RAM slots, PCI-E slot)
  • Slowed down my card using AMD adrenaline software to ~1100MHz, from base ~1300MHz

The last step fixed the error, but performance is horrible and my FPS fluctuate a lot ( Heaven benchmark at high settings, goes from 140fps to 45fps every other second).

The card ran fine the previous day on my i5 6600 and Z170a with a generic 550W PSU.

Finally AMD Adrenaline showed that when the card crashed, temps could be at around 60C and Power consumption was at around 90W

Please help me out, you are my only hope. Until, at least, I get my RTX 3060ti in a few decades.