[SOLVED] GPU fans randomly spins loudly and screen turns black

Jan 3, 2022
I recently built my pc (end of November/beginning of December 2021) and I got a 2080 Zotac Blower from a friend who never used it before. The PC was perfectly fine until New Year, when I started playing Genshin Impact.

The screen randomly cuts to black, the fan starts exhausting really loudly, and the only way for me to access the screen again is to shut down the psu and turn it on again. I checked the temperature of the GPU by opening the case and touching it, but it's about as warm as a laptop would be normally. After I turn on the psu again and check the temperature of the gpu, it's at around 59C. It only happened three times: twice with Genshin Impact and once with Starcraft 2.

I already updated the graphics card driver and there are no other updates except for the Windows 11 upgrade.

Here are the specs for my pc: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hdsqLP
Currently my pc is connected via HDMI to a Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34-Inch Curved Monitor.

Does anyone have the same issue and how did you solve it?

Solution
"Corsair CXM"
A not-so-strong pairing with a gpu of that caliber. Corsair's TXM or RM, sure.
I see the cable extensions in there too... voltage probably dropping too low due to the added length, causing the video signal to drop.

Test without the cable extensions first.
If it continues, test with a spare psu if you have one.
If a spare psu isn't present, download and run Msi Afterburner. Unlink the Power and Temp Limits first[there should be a chain link icon near them that you should click on]. Once you've done that, drag the power limit slider all the way down, and click Apply. Test in game.
If it still continues, test gpu in another PC - one without cable extensions please.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
"Corsair CXM"
A not-so-strong pairing with a gpu of that caliber. Corsair's TXM or RM, sure.
I see the cable extensions in there too... voltage probably dropping too low due to the added length, causing the video signal to drop.

Test without the cable extensions first.
If it continues, test with a spare psu if you have one.
If a spare psu isn't present, download and run Msi Afterburner. Unlink the Power and Temp Limits first[there should be a chain link icon near them that you should click on]. Once you've done that, drag the power limit slider all the way down, and click Apply. Test in game.
If it still continues, test gpu in another PC - one without cable extensions please.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS