Question GPU Fans Revving Loudly - MSI 2080Ti Gaming x Trio Ignoring Fan Curve

Mar 21, 2021
Hi Everyone
I've set a custom fan curve for my MSI 2080Ti Gaming x Trio using MSI afterburner but when my GPU heats up to 72C-74C the fans rev extremely loudly to what sounds like near 90%-100% fan usage which isn't what I've set in the fan curve. I have overclocked my card previously but I've since set it back to default.
I've tried every solution I can think of for this and I'd appreciate it if anyone else had other ideas, I've tried:
  1. Setting custom fan curves from software other than MSI Afterburner,
  2. Clean reinstall of my GPU drivers
  3. Updating my GPU BIOS
  4. Reseating my GPU and supporting bracket to ensure it's seated correctly.
  5. Reinstalling MSI Afterburner
  6. Setting NVIDIA Control Panel Power Management Mode to Adaptive (Apparently other settings can cause issues)
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 21, 2021
Just wanted to chime in to say I registered for these forums just to report the exact same issue, but with a Founders edition 2080 TI. I've done all of the above steps as well, including reapplying thermal paste, but no matter what I do, unless I put the fan speed percentage at an extremely high (and loud) value, I can't keep the card from hitting it's internal limit of 84 degrees C, which triggers the fans to automatically hit 100% to cool the card down.

I've had the card for about 2 years, but the problems only started back in Dec 2020, during a lot of Cyberpunk gameplay and testing of various ray-tracing settings. I don't know if I burned out some component or the fan itself by stressing the card too hard. Anyone have any ideas on how to isolate which part is bad?