[SOLVED] GPU fans RPM spike while under load ?

Fatpatboss

Honorable
May 17, 2016
For about a month now my Aorus RTX 2080 8GB fans will randomly hit 4100-4300 RPMs, while the temperature sits anywhere from 78-82 degrees. This occurs while the GPU fans stay around 70-80% usage. The card is not overclocked.

ASUS ROG B550-F
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 8GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB pro
Corsair RM 850 PSU

Solution
Well that is pretty hot for gpu operation. It should be running around 60-70c. It is trying to keep itself cooler thus the fan speed increase. Inspect your gpu radiator and fans for dust buildup and clean if needed. Try increasing your case fans to help expel hot air from your case too. You can use MSI afterburner to create a new fan curve to perhaps be more aggressive in the lower end of temperatures before it reaches those high temps.
Well that is pretty hot for gpu operation. It should be running around 60-70c. It is trying to keep itself cooler thus the fan speed increase. Inspect your gpu radiator and fans for dust buildup and clean if needed. Try increasing your case fans to help expel hot air from your case too. You can use MSI afterburner to create a new fan curve to perhaps be more aggressive in the lower end of temperatures before it reaches those high temps.

Solution

Fatpatboss

Honorable
May 17, 2016
So I tired a more aggressive fan curve via the Aorus engine and the temperatures were fine, until I hit 78 degrees and the fans sky rocketed. What is concerning me is how quickly it rose, think there could be a thermal paste issue? Ive had the card about 2 years now maybe a little more, and its had its fair share of use.

Your thermal pads may be losing their cooling ability. I am no fan of opening up a gpu to change thermal paste unless you really know what you are doing. Have you done a visual inspection of gpu to make sure fans and radiator are clean of dust and debris? If you put the fans too 100 percent while gaming what temps do you get?

Fatpatboss

Honorable
May 17, 2016
Your thermal pads may be losing their cooling ability. I am no fan of opening up a gpu to change thermal paste unless you really know what you are doing. Have you done a visual inspection of gpu to make sure fans and radiator are clean of dust and debris? If you put the fans too 100 percent while gaming what temps do you get?
Yep got both the heatsink and the fans as well dust free. I ran RDR2 with the fan speed at 100%, they were sitting at 3100-3200 RPMs and the temperature held around 75-77 degrees. even in that range the fans would spike up to almost 4300 RPMs at a random time. Ive looked over the card itself and the way the screw placement is, I dont wanna risk hurting it, older cards used to be so much easier, I am still waiting to hear back from Gigabyte support, im hoping if they take it for an RMA, it wont take to long to get my card back.

Yep got both the heatsink and the fans as well dust free. I ran RDR2 with the fan speed at 100%, they were sitting at 3100-3200 RPMs and the temperature held around 75-77 degrees. even in that range the fans would spike up to almost 4300 RPMs at a random time. Ive looked over the card itself and the way the screw placement is, I dont wanna risk hurting it, older cards used to be so much easier, I am still waiting to hear back from Gigabyte support, im hoping if they take it for an RMA, it wont take to long to get my card back.
I read an interesting article about gpu cards drooping after awhile causing the surfaces to pull away from the cooling pads. Some people put in a Lego brace under it to keep upright and surfaces contacting once again.
41jfxff5bjz21.jpg