GPU fans running at top-speed

numidium

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
tl;dr: my GPU started running its fans full-blast after a power outage and wouldn’t output video. I replaced it, but five minutes after booting up the new GPU started running its fans full-blast as well.

Background: There was a storm in the bay area a month ago, and our power went out. When it came back on, my GPU (a GTX760) seemed busted. The PC would boot but I wasn’t getting video from the GPU, and its fans were running like a jet engine. If I plugged my monitor directly into the motherboard’s video out everything seemed to work fine.

I RMA’d the GPU and just received my replacement. I plugged it in, but five minutes after booting up my PC the GPU fans were blasting again. I shut everything down and haven’t started it up again for fear of burning something out.

I’m at a loss at this point; I don’t know how to troubleshoot this. Could it be my PSU providing too much power? Could it be an issue with the motherboard or a thermometer sending false reports to the GPU? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It definitely sounds like something *other than the GPU* was damaged by the storm.

The PSU is likely your first culprit as any power spikes would hit that first, though the motherboard could also be suspect. It sounds like the machine is working ok with just the iGPU which is a good start. Do you have access to another machine to test the new GPU out on just to prove it works ok?

joesklar

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
The GPU has it's own thermistor, so the motherboard being a factor is unlikely.
I used to have a build with a 780ti and the fan on that used to go full blast UNTIL Windows loaded and the EVGA software for fan control kicked in.

It could be just a POST thing. I'd turn it on and let it get into Windows. If the issue persists, download the manufacturer's software for fan control.

numidium

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
cdrkf, no, unfortunately I don't have another machine to test on, but it's a factory-sealed replacement so I have no reason to think it'd be defective

joesklar, it's definitely unusual behavior for my machine; I'd never heard the fans run this loud before, and it actually started after being booted into windows for about five minutes under normal load, no gaming or anything.

numidium

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Is there any way I could narrow this down to a problem with the PSU? I have a five-year warranty, so if it's defective I could get a replacement, but right now I have no way of knowing if it's the real problem. Everything else seems to be working fine aside from the GPU fans running at full-blast.

TRENDING THREADS