[SOLVED] GPU FANS SPIN 100%, NO DISPLAY ON SCREEN, POWER BUTTON NOT WORKING WHEN HELD DOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willow_123

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
Hi,

Specs are:

Tech spec is:
Mobo - Asus x470F
CPU - Ryzon 2700x
AMD cooler Fan
PSU vs650
M.2 970 1TB
2x8 Corsair RAM
ATX silent case
GPU - Geoforce RTX 2060 Z Gaming

I opened my case to install a wifi/bluetooth PCI slot, that was fine.

I then had the idea to switch my GPU into the second 16 PCI as I needed to switch the wifi adapter into a different PCI slot. I then tried to start the PC but no display.

I switched the GPU back to its original PCI 16 slot and now it spins extremely fast and no display. Ive no way of getting display now due to the CPU I am using can only use the GPU's display (so ive read and its seems to be correct). Ive tried everything but nothing has fixed it. I havent yet tested the GPU on another PC because I dont have any other to test it on.

Strangely enough, my power button no longer works when I hold it down. It used to turn off the machine, now it just doesn't do anything,

Am I missing anything obvious here? Im stumped.

Cheers,

Last edited:

kubacs

Honorable
May 7, 2018
Hi,
Did you plug in the 4/6/8 pin connector? I'm guessing it's a 6 or 8 pin since you have an RTX Card.
Did you try a different cable, or try reseating the card?
Make sure your monitor is ON
If you do get display get MSI Afterburner here: https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner and LOCK the fan speed to 30/40% then everything should be fine.
If your issue continues, feel free to start a conversation with me.

Thanks,
Kuba

Willow_123

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
Hi,
Did you plug in the 4/6/8 pin connector? I'm guessing it's a 6 or 8 pin since you have an RTX Card.
Did you try a different cable, or try reseating the card?
Make sure your monitor is ON
If you do get display get MSI Afterburner here: https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner and LOCK the fan speed to 30/40% then everything should be fine.
If your issue continues, feel free to start a conversation with me.

Thanks,
Kuba
Hey Kuba,

Yep, the 6 pin is in. The GPU fires up fine, but at full tilt, very very loud and at 100%. I also tried switching the PSU 6 pin connection into the GPU, again it turned on, but at 100% and no display going to the screen. I also tried a different DVI cable, no joy there either.

I opened the GPU to check for shitty thermal paste application but all was fine, cleaned it off anyway and applied some fresh paste, mounted it back into the 16 PCI slot, still the same issue.

And yes, of course the monitor is on :)

I can't get any display as the ryzen 2700x doesnt have integrated graphics, it relies on the GPU, so I cant get in to view anything.

I'm all ears to any other ideas :)

Thanks,
Michael

Willow_123

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
UPDATE:

I resat the CPU into the socket and the GPU fan spin has now stopped, it looks like the sensors are working in the GPU correctly anyway.

The power button now also turns off the machine, CPU resitting seems to have fixed this issue weirdly enough.

Still no display.

Willow_123

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
It seems to a problem with the RAM stick. I toke it out and it works, but once I put it back in it fails to show display again....looks to be the RAM stick which was causing the issues....or I may need a new PSU.

So a summary of how I diagnosed:

Fast fan spin was fixed by resitting the CPU into the socket and re-applying fresh paste. This also solved the power button issue.

The display issue was fixed by disconnecting all fans and testing the RAM sticks. Ended up that one of the RAM sticks was stopping the Mobo from POSTING. I toke out the faulty RAM stick and it all worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.