Question GPU Fans Spinning 100% Can't Control Via Software

Sep 7, 2019
Hi, so I have a gigabyte gtx 1080 windforce oc, and my fans are super loud. When I boot my PC it runs normally, but usually about 15 seconds after logging into windows they just go insane. They run at what I'd assume to be 100% RPM (since every single software can't detect them - msi afterburner, evga precision xoc, gigabyte xtreme gaming engine etc all say it's at 0%rpm) and I can't control them. Manually changing the RPM does nothing. I've tried reinstalling the latest drivers and everything but to no success. I then read a thread where a guy says to flash the gpu bios with nvflash.

It apparently worked for him so I figured what the heck, i'll give it a shot. So I started following his steps. I saved a backup of my current bios, downloaded the new one to install, and got all the software I need. He then says to disable my display adapter before continuing via device manager, so I did. And literally - the second I disabled it - my gpu went back to normal. The fans instantly went down and now my gpu sound and performs like normal.

Now I in no way know anything about this, so I figured I'd ask it here. What does this mean? Does this mean there's a problem with the display adapter, my drivers, should I continue going on with flashing the bios, what do I do? For context I have 2 monitors and it only detects my main one now, my secondary monitor doesn't work with the display adapter disabled. Does this have anything to do with it?

Apologies for my incompetence and ignorance, but I really know nothing about this stuff. So if any of these questions are extremely stupid and you think why the hell would he ask that, that's why. I don't know anything about this stuff haha.

Appreciate all the advice and any information you can provide. I just don't know what to do from here as I don't know what any of this means. Thanks again.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS